Wilbar Optimum worth the cost?? updated with quote

scout123

Bronze Supporter
Feb 18, 2018
Northwest GA
I just had a pool company out as I was interested in the Wilbar Optimum pool they sell/install. Why are they so much more expensive than online?? He said the pool I want, just the pool, would be about $10,000-$12,000. (RoyalSwimmingPools sells the same pool for around $6000), and the complete package with install would be $18,000-$20,000. I told him no thanks, so he said he'd see what he could do and is working me up a quote.

From pool factory, I can get a Saltwater LX, same size as the Optimum for around $2500. Is the Optimum really that much better? If I was putting it on the ground, no question I'd get a cheaper pool. I am putting it about 18-20 inches in the ground though, so I'm not sure about the less expensive pool. The guy from the pool place kept telling me that the Optimum was made to go ingound and that's why it's so much more expensive. Any thoughts on this?

You are paying for the name brand and also the profit margins for everybody who touches it along the way. There are many people here that thought the warranty and durability fit their family’s needs the best. If the same equivalent pools are $10k+ and $2500 assuming you install them the same yourself, You very well may end up replacing the cheaper pool 4 times over the lifespan of the better pool. But you’ll have 1/4 the hit each time. You will have to replace either liner at the same rate based on your chemistry and yard/location specifics. It’s not an easy call to make for anybody and none of them are ‘wrong’ either way.

Radiant pools is the other brand that is comparable to optimum. Several members have both. Search for them and use the ‘g’ button for a google search which brings better thread results. If you are on mobile, there is a settings/ gear icon to the right of the search bar. Press that after typing your search and that will bring up the page with the ‘g’ option.

Also, without the name brand, the style is known as semi-inground. Search for that as well and lots of ideas and thoughts will pop up.

Beware of burying an AGP that is not designed for it. We have seem many pools quickly rust out even from areas where dirt is piled on a section. They are not designed for constant ground contact and moisture.

Beware of burying an AGP that is not designed for it. We have seem many pools quickly rust out even from areas where dirt is piled on a section. They are not designed for constant ground contact and moisture.

This is what concerns me. The pool I priced at Pool Factory, the saltwater LX, is listed for semi inground install, up to 1/2 the pool. It's warrantied for that. However, it's a regular AGP, and I'm concerned that now that semi-inground is a 'thing', some of the pools are listed as such but maybe shouldn't be, iykwim.

You are paying for the name brand and also the profit margins for everybody who touches it along the way. There are many people here that thought the warranty and durability fit their family’s needs the best. If the same equivalent pools are $10k+ and $2500 assuming you install them the same yourself, You very well may end up replacing the cheaper pool 4 times over the lifespan of the better pool. But you’ll have 1/4 the hit each time. You will have to replace either liner at the same rate based on your chemistry and yard/location specifics. It’s not an easy call to make for anybody and none of them are ‘wrong’ either way.

Radiant pools is the other brand that is comparable to optimum. Several members have both. Search for them and use the ‘g’ button for a google search which brings better thread results. If you are on mobile, there is a settings/ gear icon to the right of the search bar. Press that after typing your search and that will bring up the page with the ‘g’ option.

Also, without the name brand, the style is known as semi-inground. Search for that as well and lots of ideas and thoughts will pop up.
I understand there would be a mark up and I'm okay with the dealer making some money, but $4000 more for the same pool seems a bit much. And I get what you're saying. I would rather do this once, and the optimum does come with a lifetime warranty (does that mean anything though...I haven't read it yet) even if I sell my house. I know I'd feel better burying the Optimum, so I'll have to see what the dealer can do. My budget is $12000 for everything, so I don't know if he'll be able to come down that much. The closest radiant dealer is about 70 miles from me. I called him and he said he'd sell me a pool but couldn't provide install. From what I've read on here, the radiants are more expensive than the Optimum. Thanks for your feedback.

Reactions: Newdude
And I get what you're saying. I would rather do this once, and the optimum does come with a lifetime warranty
I personally prefer the do it once mentality. Whether or not I can afford to be that guy at the moment is a whole another story. Neither way is wrong, just 2 ways of many to skin a cat. Unless you are burying a pool that wasn’t designed for it like Allen said. I missed that part in the story. Sorry.

Also, even though the Radiant pool Probably won’t work for you, search them up anyway. Many of the cost to value/longevity answers you are looking for are the same.

I just got my quote today and thought I'd post it to see if anyone had any thoughts:
24 foot round wilbar optimum
18 inches in ground
vermiculite bottom, stone backfill, plumbing hard piped, one skimmer and one return
hayward powerflo pump 1.5 hp single speed (I can upgrade to VS . Dont know cost yet)
hayward 21" sand filter (I can upgrade and I told him I wanted cartridge)
ladder, poles, cleaning stuff etc.
$13,600

On one hand, it would be nice to have one company do it all so I don't have to worry about it. They are local. A family owned business and have been in pool business over 30 years. On the other hand, I could probably save quite a bit buying online (I can get the same pool for $6453...same pool, same sized pump and filter, shipping, tax) I've not priced out digging hole or install, but I don't think it'd come close to $7000?? The problem is finding someone to do it. I'm not sure if I'd save enough to make the headache worth it, iykwim.

Sounds like the worst that can happen is you can sleep like a baby while the pricey (but far more importantly trusty/reliable and local) guy installs you a almost permanent pool.
I'm not sure if I'd save enough to make the headache worth it, iykwim
This debate will rage on until the end of time. The folks who had it go easy are for it. The folks who had a rough time will never try it again.

it can’t hurt to ask around and see how much you would be able to sub out. $7000 would easily buy me a few days patience to make phone calls. And I’m talking literal 8 hour days. If 2 or 3 days (possibly spread over weeks) didn’t fully solve all the questions then I would never second guess the decision to pay for it all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.