Wifi/Timer/Dusk to Dawn Switch for LED light

poolschpool

Jun 12, 2019
Fremont, CA
Hi,
My pool has the Microbrite LED lights connected to a simple on/off switch on a basic intermatic controller. See photo below. The white switch currently controls the light.

Is there a cost effective way I can automate the switch to turn on the lights at night.

1599004901808.png

I have all kinds of different "smart" switches throughout my house. GE, Luttron, Levviton, etc., and just installed a Kasa HS200 @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta mentioned above. $16 on Amazon, works with Wifi, connects into other smart home platforms like Smartthings, and has a very easy timer feature that has worked well each night. I have my storage shed lights turn on at dusk, and off at dawn. Next switch I buy, it will be a Kasa.

Small note, I believe these only come in the "decora" style, and your switch above being replaced is a paddle type. GE makes a paddle type smart switch, but not nearly as easy, cheap, and works as well as the Kasa. Most "smart" switches worth adding are the "decora" style, just something to think about if that matters to you.

Thank you for the replies. I will look into these options. I noticed that all these are in decora format as well.

Also, the box/enclosure is metal similar to the one shown below. So it is made of metal and I need to figure out if the Wifi switches will work in this case. If not, I will have to put a waterproof box outside with the switch.

I like Kasa/TP-Link Wifi switches too (HS 200). If that box is outdoors and exposed to moisture, you'll need to add an outdoor electrical box to mount the switch.

we need to replace out light (colorlogic multi color) and have been looking at the controller switch. It is going to be spendy, because we have to hire an electrician to run it either outside our back door or right inside. Our pool equipment is around the side of our house. Would this work for us? We have to flip the switch to get the color we want now. Can we change the color from it?

This would be great if it would work. I have a couple of these switches already but I am not sure if this one is something different.

I started using these switches in my house. They are nice because they use a Bluetooth mesh.

we need to replace out light (colorlogic multi color) and have been looking at the controller switch. It is going to be spendy, because we have to hire an electrician to run it either outside our back door or right inside. Our pool equipment is around the side of our house. Would this work for us? We have to flip the switch to get the color we want now. Can we change the color from it?

This would be great if it would work. I have a couple of these switches already but I am not sure if this one is something different.
I don't have these style of lights. I just checked, through the app, and I am able to switch the pool lights on and off about every second

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@poolschpool when I first saw the photo in your post, it looked like the switch was mounted outside of the box. I can now see that it is mounted inside of a weatherproof box, so you should be fine. I have a few different Wi-Fi switches from different manufacturers. I can say that the Kasa TP Link switches seem to receive a stronger signal.

Reactions: gingrbredman
@poolschpool when I first saw the photo in your post, look like the switch was mounted outside of the box. I can now see that it is mounted inside of a weatherproof box, so you should be fine. I have a few different Wi-Fi switches from different manufacturers. I can say that the Kasa TP Link switches seem to receive a stronger signal.

I'd second that assessment. These seem to work the best for me, much better than any of the bluetooth, ZWave, or Zigbee switchs I have. My switch is outside, in an enclosed shed. away from the strong WiFi signal and always turns on at dusk, and off at dawn. Can also control them from my app or Smartthings if needed anytime.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I don't have these style of lights. I just checked, through the app, and I am able to switch the pool lights on and off about every second

I don’t want to derail the OP‘s post but thank you👍My pool company wants $1,800 to replace my light and the controller was another $250 and to move it to where it was going to be more convenient was requiring an electrician and that was another $200. This switch would probably work. We have to Repeatedly flip the switch off/on to change the color. Nobody ever want to run around the side of the house to turn the light off/on or to change the color. I honestly never thought of using one of these switches.

OP, do you have the color changing version?

This conversation irks me. I have the IntelliBrite which is anything but Intelli! I have to flip the switch, up to 16 times, to get at all the colors and effects. What are we, cavemen sending messages via drum beats!?! What year is this!?! And "all the colors"... that's a joke. These lights have red, green and blue LEDs inside that get turned on at various levels to achieve the handful of colors and "effects" the lights offer. I think mine has a whopping five or six colors. Red, green and blue lights have the ability to combine to create millions of colors (I don't mean "a bunch," I mean literally millions of colors)!! It could/should all be user configurable, customizable, fully integrated with current home automation protocols... Nope, six colors... click, click, click, click, click, click, click. Barbaric.
**** END OF RANT ****

The point was, if your light is the color version and utilizes Pentair's brilliant click, click, click MO, be mindful of how fast the new switch can respond to on-off commands. It the command/response is not timed right, you'll still get your on-off capability, but maybe not the color-changing capability, so you'd still need to go to the pad to change the color. My Insteon switches are usually fast enough, but sometimes they miss a click and so I get the wrong color.

One requirement for most WiFi switches is the need for a neutral wire in the switch box. Neutral wires are generally white. If not connected to the existing switch, they will be connected with a wire nut in the box.

Reactions: panic_button
^this exactly. Flipping the switch is terrible.

On mine you have to run back and forth around the house to the pool to see which color is on if your alone. I downloaded a few color charts but my light never matched up with the order the chart said it should be.

It couldn't be blue-tooth or wifi, because the light is underwater. So they use click, click, click. But the original Insteon (and x-10) protocol sent commands through the power line (the house wiring). Which might work for a pool light. I suppose the problem is that protocol never worked 100%, so they later added mesh and RF to all the Insteon devices. I can't fault Pentair for wanting the communication to be reliable, but I also suspect some clever engineering could solve this and then make use of the full potential of these color LEDs. It could be as simple as a fourth wire run from controller to light... someday maybe. It'll be $1000 a bulb, though.

It couldn't be blue-tooth or wifi, because the light is underwater. So they use click, click, click. But the original Insteon (and x-10) protocol sent commands through the power line (the house wiring). Which might work for a pool light. I suppose the problem is that protocol never worked 100%, so they later added mesh and RF to all the Insteon devices. I can't fault Pentair for wanting the communication to be reliable, but I also suspect some clever engineering could solve this and then make use of the full potential of these color LEDs. It could be as simple as a fourth wire run from controller to light... someday maybe. It'll be $1000 a bulb, though.
My pool company wants $1,500 for the light and $300 for labor. I am already paying for a basic light at that price including extra convenience would be a steal. I called three pool companies and none would let me buy online and install And they all were in the same price range for a new light/install. A $20 switch would be a bargain.

• Wow
Reactions: Dirk
Just saw your post and wanted to know what app will switch the pool lights on and off every second? Are you referring to the "Smart Life" app? Wanting to do this but can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
The switches I was referring to are controlled by the Kasa TP-Link app.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.