WiFi control

Hank2000

Bronze Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
Louisville ms
I have a single speed pump that 10 years old that I want to be able to turn on and off by WiFi if I need to and I would like for it to be on a timer as well Basically I would to be able to look at my phone and a able to tell of it is running or if for some reason there is problem. This would be really nice for when I’m out of town for a week at a time. Plus it needs to be simple and cheap.

The Woods WiOn 50054 is a $60 option that basically replaces a standard Intermatic mechanical timer. It is intended for a hardwired installation. It allows full control through a phone app or via Alexa with several different timer options. The app will not tell you if the pump is actually running. It will only show that the timer is active or not. You can search the forum for WiOn 50054 for more info. Here are a couple of links.

WiFi smart switches for pool control
Automation for pool

If your pump is not hardwired, there are other wi-fi options out there for switches and plugs. Just make sure it's rated for outdoor use and that it can handle the amperage of your pump.

This is definitely simple and cheap. If you want to add more controls like a pool filler (great for away from home) you might consider a consolidated control like an EasyTouch with a ScreenLogic iphone interface.

More money but fully integrated and very easy to use.

Here are three different views from my iphone

Attachments

• IMG_5205[1].jpg
    IMG_5205[1].jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5204[1].jpg
    IMG_5204[1].jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5206[1].jpg
    IMG_5206[1].jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 94
My two cents... I didn't want to use a wifi switch, because if your internet goes out, or there's a server issue, you loose (remote) control of your pump. I didn't have the money to spend on an easy touch system, so I went with a Zwave controlled solution.

I started with an Intermatic CA3750, which will be hard for you to find now, but there are other options. I liked it because unlike the Aeon labs contactor, it has a manual switch on it (there are easy workarounds for that) but I deal wish I had bought the Aeon labs one because it has an energy monitor built in.

I was controlling that with a Vera+ controller. But I found the system to limiting and upgraded to Homeseer. I run the homeseer off an intel nuk in my basement, using a Znet interface in the pool area. I know what you're thinking, its approaching the price of a easy touch, BUT, this same solution controls the smart home stuff in my home (door lock, lights, pool Shed lights, turns on the pool area lights if it's after dusk and you open the gate, etc. Make no mistake, I will likely put in a pentair automation system of I ever put in a VS pump (and there's already a pentair plugin for homeseer, so it will work nicely).

If you're kind of nerdy and we're thinking of a DIY HA system anyway, its easy to automate basic pool functions.

If anyone wants more details, PM me and I'll try to answer.

My two cents... I didn't want to use a wifi switch, because if your internet goes out, or there's a server issue, you loose (remote) control of your pump.

That's not true with my ScreenLogic system. I just tested it. I unplugged the internet from my router. As long as my wireless router is still working and connected to the protocol adapter, I can connect locally via iphone. I don't see how this is any different in terms of reliability than system you propose, or the EasyTouch wireless remote system. They all are still subject to a single local wireless failure.

On a related note, if the wireless does fail but the network connection survives (how probable is that?!?), ScreenLogic can still be run and the pool controlled from a PC attached to the network.

I am interested in your system proposal though. It would be nice to have all the convenience of the EasyTouch with out the relatively expensive and limited proprietary system.

Re: WiFi control

Your Ph looks pretty low there
icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, I've been thinking about picking up a used intellichem just measure the water. I don't think it will fit my V1 board so I would have to upgrade to V2.

That's not true with my ScreenLogic system. I just tested it. I unplugged the internet from my router. As long as my wireless router is still working and connected to the protocol adapter, I can connect locally via iphone. I don't see how this is any different in terms of reliability than system you propose, or the EasyTouch wireless remote system. They all are still subject to a single local wireless failure.

On a related note, if the wireless does fail but the network connection survives (how probable is that?!?), ScreenLogic can still be run and the pool controlled from a PC attached to the network.

I am interested in your system proposal though. It would be nice to have all the convenience of the EasyTouch with out the relatively expensive and limited proprietary system.
Hi scowman, your screen logic is NOT a wifi switch. OP was originally asking about Wi-Fi switches. Your easytouch system is locally hosted and not internet dependent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for the reply’s. While I would love full automation just not sure it’s in the budget right now. We do plain to upgrade the pump and install some kind of chlorinater in the future. My look at full automation then.

Hi scowman, your screen logic is NOT a wifi switch. OP was originally asking about Wi-Fi switches. Your easytouch system is locally hosted and not internet dependent.

It is intentet dependent when I am not home or when I am out of range of the wifi. In those situation, I connect via the cell phone/internet.

But I was responding to your statement that you "didn't want to use a wifi switch, because if your internet goes out, or there's a server issue, you loose (remote) control of your pump." I don't think that is true. My screenlogic remote control of my pump is through three paths: Local WIFI, Internet, Local Network (PC). If the internet goes out, I still have WIFI. If the WIFI goes out, I still have the internet or PC. Either way, I still have remote access. I think if my LAN goes down I lose it all.

It is intentet dependent when I am not home or when I am out of range of the wifi. In those situation, I connect via the cell phone/internet.

But I was responding to your statement that you "didn't want to use a wifi switch, because if your internet goes out, or there's a server issue, you loose (remote) control of your pump." I don't think that is true. My screenlogic remote control of my pump is through three paths: Local WIFI, Internet, Local Network (PC). If the internet goes out, I still have WIFI. If the WIFI goes out, I still have the internet or PC. Either way, I still have remote access. I think if my LAN goes down I lose it all.
Dude. I was not talking about your set up! I was talking about an switch like the OP mentioned. You have a locally hosted system, which you connect DIRECTLY to and ALSO have a relay to the that let's you connect via the internet. But I can GUARANTEE YOU that if your internet goes out, you can't control it it with your phone if not connected to your locks network.

It doesnt matter because as mentioned a few times I was talking about an internet based switch, where you don't connect to the unit directly, you connect via cloud only, like WeMo or the other solution OP mentioned, that's not what you have, so your set up has no bearing on how a completely different setup works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.