St. Petersburg, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I was reading my service email today and noted that my pool guy added DE Powder 1 Pound. Is this common? I have a sand filter. I intend to call him on this tomorrow if there is no good reason. I'm just impatient and want to know now - at 9:00PM. And also.... I intend to start servicing my pool on my own but haven't gotten around to it yet. I bought the kit sold on this site and the spinner.

You can add DE to a sand filter to enhance performance. Have you complained about cloudiness or anything?

You can add DE to a sand filter to enhance performance. Have you complained about cloudiness or anything?

Thanks for the info. I've not complained about anything. The water has been clear. I did find out from my husband after writing this that he did a backwash (the driveway was wet). I wonder if he was trying to improve something or if he hasn't known that my DE filter was replaced with a sand filter last year. As long as nothing gets damaged I'll be fine. I will definitely call him tomorrow.

Sounds like he was adding it to improve filtration. And with sand filters, when you backwash, you end up flushing out all the DE as it sits on the surface of the sand. Its a great thing to have in your filter, IMO.

He would *not* mistake a DE filter for a sand filter. Also, the DE used is specific for pool's, not the same as garden DE. You can find it in Walmart in the pool section - HTH DE Filter Aid is a common brand.

I just noticed your siggy line says "Zeo sand".... I have no experience with adding DE to that? I feel sand is a better filter medium and cheaper too!

Maddie :flower:

zeo pores will get clogged with the DE and then zeo will basically function as sand, thus rendering zeo useless.

it is the only thing that cleared up my pool- i had to use quite a bit of de to bring my pressure up - it turning zeo into sand is a good thing in my opinion as zeo doesn’t seem to filter very well. Just making sure i’m not bricking my filter housing

Zeo is a very good filter media, you just have to get to know how it works. Zeo likes low and slow flow. It will never harm your filter housing. Its a steep learning curve, but if you follow the instructions on the zeo packaging to the letter it works. Very close comparison to DE but far ahead of sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Zeo is a very good filter media, you just have to get to know how it works. Zeo likes low and slow flow. It will never harm your filter housing. Its a steep learning curve, but if you follow the instructions on the zeo packaging to the letter it works. Very close comparison to DE but far ahead of sand.

sounds reasonable- i have a 1 1/2 hp single speed pump- so that’s probably my main problem with it- appreciate your knowledge ??

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.