Why is water cloudy if chemicals are almost perfect ?

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
My levels are as follows. Why would my water still be cloudy in the deep end ? It’s mild for sure , but cloudy nevertheless.
FC: 5
CYA:40
PH :7.2
TA :60
CC :0

could use some help . Thanks

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
Hmm. How much FC are you losing each day and do you have a screen and do you have direct sunlight? For me cloudy means the FC got too low and a SLAM is probably in order.
We are only losing less than 1 on FC each day. I don't know what a screen is, so I guess not??? Yes we have direct sun a majority of the day after 11 AM

ship of fools

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
What were your before and after numbers. If you went from 4 down to 3 it's a loss of 1% but I believe that's a far different result than going from 16 to 15. In any case the three conditions to end the SLAM include clear water so if you're cloudy you need to keep it up to SLAM level. It could just be dead algae that needs to get filtered out.

Reactions: thefloatqueen

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, OH
Does the pool get a lot of use? The only time I notice any slight cloudiness but still have good numbers is after having people over to swim for a couple hours. It goes away hours later after adding more bleach and running the pump, though. How “cloudy“ are we talking?

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
There are 3 criteria that need to be passed to consider a SLAM complete. 0.5 or less CC, OCLT pass, and clear water.

Is this cloudy water a new development? Because if your water was still cloudy when you declared your SLAM finished, then you were premature.

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
There are 3 criteria that need to be passed to consider a SLAM complete. 0.5 or less CC, OCLT pass, and clear water.

Is this cloudy water a new development? Because if your water was still cloudy when you declared your SLAM finished, then you were premature.
No, it's not a new development. I guess I ended too early. Thanks...

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
No, it's not a new development. I guess I ended too early. Thanks...
This is the time when SLAMming something is a good thing. :) Hopefully, it won't take too long to clear up. I often see results after a little cloudy in just one day but usually like to keep it up for two days just in case my readings were off.

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Indicating the slam was only for 1 day seems too short for a completed slam. I know when I had to do one, once the first oclt passed, the next day it didn't. It was about 3 more days after it passed oclt two days in a row.

It's not instructed to do two oclts but some have had to and found it needed a bit longer.