Why IC-40 literature says it generates above 52 degrees but real world says otherwise

rawb

Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2017
Lexington, SC
Just curious about the discrepancy between the minimum temp to generate chlorine shown in the IC-40 manual (52 degrees) and the temperature that most people seem to observe to be the real world minimum (60 - 65 degrees). I have found around 60 to be my minimum but weird how they would state an exact number such as 52 in the manual.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
raw,

I think the manual say it shuts off at 52 +/- 3 degrees... I'm not sure it says when it comes back on.. (It might, I'm too lazy to look).. :p

The problem that I see is that when the water is around that temperature it will often be too cold to work in the morning but might work later in the day. So I don't even try to use my cell until the morning water temperatures consistently stay above 56 degrees or so..

Thanks,

Jim R.

MLR54

Jul 30, 2016
East Central Florida
Mine also at 60-65 degrees (water temp) the low salt light comes on, the cold water light so far has never come on, according to my pool builder this normal for IC-40 as far as the low salt light, so I turn off the power to it. Later in the morning if and when the water temp goes past 65 degrees I turn the IC-40 back on and the low salt light is off.

jeffchap

Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 27, 2012
Edmond OK
Mine also at 60-65 degrees (water temp) the low salt light comes on, the cold water light so far has never come on, according to my pool builder this normal for IC-40 as far as the low salt light, so I turn off the power to it. Later in the morning if and when the water temp goes past 65 degrees I turn the IC-40 back on and the low salt light is off.

Mine behaves exactly the same.