Why don’t I see guys using Algaecide 60 ?

If you have your chlorine level on target, you don't get algae. Why do you need an extra expense in that case?

Also algaecide is a preventative. Adding it to a green pool will do approximately nothing. Adding it to a clear pool will help prevent algae if the FC drops too low. But not allowing FC to drop too low prevents algae better and keeps the pool safe to swim in, so again, why bother with the extra expense?

If you have your chlorine level on target, you don't get algae. Why do you need an extra expense in that case?

Also algaecide is a preventative. Adding it to a green pool will do approximately nothing. Adding it to a clear pool will help prevent algae if the FC drops too low. But not allowing FC to drop too low prevents algae better and keeps the pool safe to swim in, so again, why bother with the extra expense?
Ok, I understand that. I see lots of guys getting algae and doing the slam does cost money. A bottle of Algaecide 60 Plus is $17 and putting in 4 oz every week is a great prevention. I use 4 oz a week with my pool that’s 86,000 or more. $17 bucks last all season. Your going to need Algaecide 60 Anyway for closing?

Ok, I understand that. I see lots of guys getting algae and doing the slam does cost money. A bottle of Algaecide 60 Plus is $17 and putting in 4 oz every week is a great prevention. I use 4 oz a week with my pool that’s 86,000 or more. $17 bucks last all season. Your going to need Algaecide 60 Anyway for closing?

The recommended dose for your pool is more than a quart a week. Not much point putting in 4oz..

If you really want to add something else to fight the green menace, I suggest Borates. They have two upsides: they make the water feel nicer and they are persistent (I top mine off every Spring).

I haven’t had to deal with algae in years and I don’t even feel like showering after a swim any more.

Also note that getting algae is a good sign that the water is not sanitary.
Use some extra chemical to suppress algae results in loss of the early warning sign that the water may not be sanitized and safe.
Clear water does not equal safe water.

If you keep the chlorine level correct at all times relative to your CYA level, then you know the water is safe and you will not get algae.

Nearly all the members you see coming to the forum with algae have NOT been maintaining proper chlorine levels and likely have no idea about the FC/CYA relationship.

And as others have said, once you have algae, a little Poly 60 is not going to help.

This brings up a question regarding the life span of polyquat and how FC affects it. Chlorine seems to oxidize a lot of things, is there a chance of the polyquat being broken down by higher FC levels?

I haven't used polyquat since finding TFP. The 1 quart bottle I bought is still sitting on the shelf barely used. I keep away the green with free chlorine.

Marty:

Algaecide is only used during pool closings and in very rare situations. I honestly believe you have a situation where you pool is quite large, and there is limited circulation. To avoid getting algae, you will only need to keep your CYA/FC ratio in check, but the weekly brushing (at least 2X weekly is necessary). Are you brushing your walls frequently?

Marty:

Algaecide is only used during pool closings and in very rare situations. I honestly believe you have a situation where you pool is quite large, and there is limited circulation. To avoid getting algae, you will only need to keep your CYA/FC ratio in check, but the weekly brushing (at least 2X weekly is necessary). Are you brushing your walls frequently?
Marty:

This year I have not brushed yet. Last year when pool service was doing pool. Yes, I brushed a lot because I was seeing green alg were it went from 4 ft to 9 ft. I now use a submarine and put 3 tabs in it. It sits at 9 ft deep. Circulation was the problem at 9 ft. I now leave the bottom 2 drains open. When it’s winds and leaves are falling I close bottom drain to get max suction at skimmer. I do put in 4 oz of algae 60 in every week. So far Pool is spot on. Im still lowing the CYA. I’m at 250 now. When I took over the pool it was off the chart. 350 to 400. That’s because the pool service guy was putting in 3 tabs in each skimmer (3). As I learned more about pools I fired him. Also pool guy said to leave bottom drain close all the time, you don’t need ???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This brings up a question regarding the life span of polyquat and how FC affects it. Chlorine seems to oxidize a lot of things, is there a chance of the polyquat being broken down by higher FC levels?

I haven't used polyquat since finding TFP. The 1 quart bottle I bought is still sitting on the shelf barely used. I keep away the green with free chlorine.

I recently rapped about this with joyful noise.
I found his comments interesting & educational. Im sure he will come a knocking & drop some jewels.

This year I have not brushed yet. Last year when pool service was doing pool. Yes, I brushed a lot because I was seeing green alg were it went from 4 ft to 9 ft. I now use a submarine and put 3 tabs in it. It sits at 9 ft deep. Circulation was the problem at 9 ft. I now leave the bottom 2 drains open. When it’s winds and leaves are falling I close bottom drain to get max suction at skimmer. I do put in 4 oz of algae 60 in every week. So far Pool is spot on. Im still lowing the CYA. I’m at 250 now. When I took over the pool it was off the chart. 350 to 400. That’s because the pool service guy was putting in 3 tabs in each skimmer (3). As I learned more about pools I fired him. Also pool guy said to leave bottom drain close all the time, you don’t need ???

You're fighting high CYA and yet you are still using the tabs?

Marty D:

The comments that you are making are confusing. You stated that CYA is high, but you are adding Cal Hypo. Your CYA reached a limit (if your testing is accurate), and you have algae, but are not brushing. Using 3" tabs is what caused a problem. You are closing off main drains, only to have algae, creating limited circulation. Again, your pool is quite large and I doubt there are not dead spots. You have been a member for a while and you have read over and over that 3" tabs are short term and will raise your CYA, creating potential problems.

This is very simple:

1) Please post up a full set of test results. I am only going to assume you have one of the recommend test kits. If not, your numbers are not valid.

2) You must (again), you must brush twice weekly. There are no exceptions.

3) Make sure you are at the minimum based on your CYA. Without test results, no one here can help. Your signature does not show the test kit you are using.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.