why did my o ring stretch?

They stretch as the age. Some more than others. As long as you can persuade it to fit back in there it'll be fine. You can order them online but I don't know of a place besides the pool store that might have them in stock.

This happened to us. I'm sure ours was age....but....

also...what happened is at some time in the past, hubby put some vaseline on the o-ring. Big mistake (but he/we didn't know that at the time). The lubricant, if any, should be silicone-based.

And that is not right your PSS doesn't keep a supply of o-rings...I live & work in small towns & our PSS does...so that seems odd to me. The blasted thing was $9.99 though so look online for a better deal.

Thank you guys. my only concern is that I cant turn my filter on and I don't want my pool to backslide. I just now got it under control. I will try to get it back on. Maybe two sets of hands will help trying to hold it up, make o ring fit and seal it with only two hands is very difficult.

If the ring is too long, a temporary fix is to cut the ring into with a razor blade (or x-acto knife) and trim a little off it and super glue it back together. That'll get you going till you can get another one.

We used to make all our o-rings out of stock material. We had a fancy holder to ensure a square straight cut but I've made hundreds with my pocket knife and a board. It's easier to do than you think. If you wanted to get fancy you could slice it at an angle but I don't recommend you try that until you've done a few dozen. :)

I man handled it back on but it is on its way out......

I am so glad someone else had this problem as I now know to just go to the pool store after I jimmy this thing to fit. I want to check out my filters...turn it on...if filters are ok I'll just buy another ring, if not another ring and new filters. Thanks for the thread

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I tries to glue it like Bama said but I guess hes much better than I am. Anyway as much as I don't like going to Leslies ...they had one. Lid back in order. Maybe I will order another and keep it around. THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.