Why clean a new Tub with Ahhsome?

spoonman

Jun 16, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Hi Folks

I’m curious about the notion of biofilm existing in a brand new manufactured spa. I’d think that biofilm could only be created if a spa had water in the tub, as opposed to a new tub of assembled brand new parts. Certainly I could understand there being gunk in a new tub such as adhesives and dust, but biofilm? Could someone please opine on this as biofilm in a new tub seems a bit far fetched. Thanks.

New tubs are pressure tested with water. Not all of the water is removed after testing. What is left can grow all kinds of nasty stuff.

Sm,

I agree with Marty and.. It just eliminates the possibility that something is there. It might turn out to be a waste of time, but not much for the peace of mind that it provides.

Jim R.

I've had to use chlorine dioxide to clean out biofilm at work. It grows in complete darkness at 40 degree temps and only takes a week to begin. It's a term I'd never heard of till 10 years ago. Because of a lot of PVC plumbing I've done for 30 years the suggestion to use something for it in a new hot tub seemed normal to me. I was happy to find out there was a product for it. What I use at work is nasty so Ahh-some makes it a breeze.

Thanks all for great responses. I was unaware that spas were actually factory tested (factory testing almost seems quaint these days), which certainly explains how standing water and resulting biofilm could be present.

I just recently picked up an inflatable spa (Saluspa Paris) which has been my first foray into spa ownership. Running across information on Aahsome here spurred my question as my $400 hot tub undoubtably went from assembly line straight into a box!

Most of us have acrylic spas with pvc plumbing so i have to admit it would be weird thing to me is that mfgs could go a long way (and with minimal expense) towards mitigating this problem but they don't. Its astonishing how much the industry is filled with nuance and emotion both on the customer and mfg sides. As for sales ...well they are a lost cause because they live in those worlds and believe that customers do too!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.