Why choose TF-100 or Taylor K2006? And, preview of the new TF-Pro and TF-Pro SALT

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
My guess is some people choose Taylor K2006 since it's conveniently sold on amazon (and perhaps at the pool store?). I heard one person say they dont like the Tf-100's awkward fishing box. I can see what they mean but I've been using the TF-100 for 5 yrs and that's what I'm used to, although I do need a new kit and was thinking of seeing if the Taylor K2006, or any other kits for that matter, are just as good if not better. I also heard that TF 100 has more to offer as far as what can be tested and it seems less $. I also wasn't quite sure if proceeds from TF 100 might support TFP? Any other quick thoughts? thx!

My local pool store (eKonomy Pools) sells all of the Taylor reagents in both 0.75oz and 2oz bottles. So I just get my stuff there when I need it. Most pools stores don’t sell Taylor refills so for some folks it’s way more convenient to order from TFTestkits. Either way, it’s the exact same chemicals. So there’s really not much difference.

The SpeedStir is key though in my opinion. It’s really a must-have and makes testing so much easier.

I wish Taylor would sell a better titrator than the dropper bottles. There are a few Reef tank test kit suppliers that use very accurate titrating bottles for doing chemical analysis and they would be a lot more accurate than the dropper bottle method. But, then again, fish and coral are way more sensitive to water quality than humans ...

yes, i really like the speedstir, too. I was thinking about just ordering what i need, too. I've done that before. I tried to measure my CH today and got no color! I live i Phx and water is almost 2 yrs old. There's no way there's no CH in the water!

Here's the best bargain box you'll find for the TF-100. Fits a full test kit, Speedstir, sample bottle, refills and misc. supplies. Other color options are sold out or marked way up, so if you can live with the color...

I like the Taylor 2006C kit just for the nice box. The 2oz bottles are a good size for those of us that do a lot of testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have all my bottles along with the speedstir fit nicely in the TF-100 plastic box. Even holds my XL kit for CL testing
Front left is CYA testing, Front right is CL testing
Middle row is CH testing and speedstir
Back row is TA testing
Have separate tubes for each test as well as separate spinner for each
I did buy 2 oz replacement reagents directly from Taylor as they are a little cheaper per oz. but I was buying some other stuff for another need and just added all in 1 order. I just refill the bottles in the TF test kit
. TF Test Kit with SpeedStirrer.jpg

I like that the Taylor kit has the bottle caps color-coded for each set of tests, and all the bottles for each test stand upright in their own row. I have room for my speedstir, extra test tubes, etc., in the box, too. It's nice to have the (color coded) instructions right in the top of the box, too.

I like that the Taylor kit has the bottle caps color-coded for each set of tests, and all the bottles for each test stand upright in their own row. I have room for my speedstir, extra test tubes, etc., in the box, too. It's nice to have the (color coded) instructions right in the top of the box, too.
Took me a hot minute to realize it, but the TF-100 kit is also color coded the colored labels correspond to a test.

I couldn't find what exactly is included in the Taylor kit on amazon. It's clearly listed on the tftestkits page for the TF100. Sounds like the bottles r different sizes and most people likke the blue box better, but I'd have to say one perk of the TF100 is that you can easily see what's what since labels r visible on their sides unless they spin around, although, it's not easy to organize them in the fishing lure box they come in.

Is it safe to say that the reagents r the same?:

Contents of TF-100 test kit:

K-1000 Test Kit – Blue Plastic Box

R-0007 – 1 oz dropper bottle
R-0008 – 1 oz dropper bottle (dark fluid)
R-0009 – 1 oz dropper bottle
R-0010 – ½ oz dropper bottle
R-0011L – ½ oz dropper bottle (dark fluid)
R-0012 – 1 oz dropper bottle
CYA View Tube with black dot at bottom of tube
R-0003 – ¾ oz dropper bottle
R-0870 Powder - small white jar*
R-0871 – 2 oz white dropper bottle
Graduated Cylinders (2)
R-0013 – 8oz bottle (remove protective seal to dispense)
Red Tipped CYA Dispenser (please cut off top 1/8” of tip)
Small Blue Spoon (hold flat end and use scoop end)
*The R-0870 (DPD) Powder Jar contains a full 10 grams. The jar is intentionally oversized to prevent spilling when you scoop powder from the jar.

+1 on the box that Rancho posted. It holds everything I need.

Also SpeedStir is nice but if you want to go full pro mode you will also need sample sizers.

Here is a picture of my box.

Attachments

• 49637B84-85FA-498A-BB82-7633E39BE4B1.jpeg
    49637B84-85FA-498A-BB82-7633E39BE4B1.jpeg
    507.7 KB · Views: 213
Since getting my SWG I use the Taylor 1000 80% of the time. I do have a 2006 but other levels like TA have pretty much stay the same. SWG makes life so much easier
I did see a small Taylor kit that read higher then 5 for FC once I might try

I couldn't find what exactly is included in the Taylor kit on amazon. It's clearly listed on the tftestkits page for the TF100. Sounds like the bottles r different sizes and most people likke the blue box better, but I'd have to say one perk of the TF100 is that you can easily see what's what since labels r visible on their sides unless they spin around, although, it's not easy to organize them in the fishing lure box they come in.

Is it safe to say that the reagents r the same?:

Contents of TF-100 test kit:

K-1000 Test Kit – Blue Plastic Box

R-0007 – 1 oz dropper bottle
R-0008 – 1 oz dropper bottle (dark fluid)
R-0009 – 1 oz dropper bottle
R-0010 – ½ oz dropper bottle
R-0011L – ½ oz dropper bottle (dark fluid)
R-0012 – 1 oz dropper bottle
CYA View Tube with black dot at bottom of tube
R-0003 – ¾ oz dropper bottle
R-0870 Powder - small white jar*
R-0871 – 2 oz white dropper bottle
Graduated Cylinders (2)
R-0013 – 8oz bottle (remove protective seal to dispense)
Red Tipped CYA Dispenser (please cut off top 1/8” of tip)
Small Blue Spoon (hold flat end and use scoop end)
*The R-0870 (DPD) Powder Jar contains a full 10 grams. The jar is intentionally oversized to prevent spilling when you scoop powder from the jar.
From Amazon:
This complete DPD test kit is designed for service techs, commercial pool operators and health department officials. The kit uses 2 oz. reagents with titrants to improve accuracy, includes a printed color comparator, waterproof instructions, treatment charts, and a water proof chemistry guide. Test kit includes:
10 grams of DPD Powder x 2,
2 oz. bottles of :
FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent,
DPD Reagent #3, Phenol Red,
Acid Demand Reagent,
Base Demand Reagent,
Cyanuric Acid Reagent X2,
Sulfuric Acid .12N,
Total Alkalinity Indicator,
Thiosulfate N/10,
Hardness Reagent,
Calcium Indicator Liquid,
Calcium Buffer;
2 Chamber Comparator,
Water Balance Calculator Wheel,
Cyanuric Acid Testing Bottle 7 / 14 mL.

All bottles are 2oz, two bottles of CYA reagent and DPD powder.

We have Amazon prime, so the free shipping and 5% cash back on our Amazon credit card, plus larger sizes on most of the reagents and nice box makes this our choice.

I love how browsing through threads provides great ideas. I have the Taylor kit with small bottles, but over the years have replaced most reagents with 2oz bottles. I can squeeze my most repetitive tests into the Taylor box, but not all. I like the tackle box idea and will order one today. Also, I haven’t been all that diligent about watching expiration dates on my reagents. All are up to date now and have made a difference in testing, especially pH. Colors match the scale more clearly now. I just wish there was an easier CYA test.....🙂

Reactions: outdoorsgal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.