Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
It’s a general question but specifically for manuriaric acI’d, I need to lower my PH to get rid of stains.

Why can’t I just add the acid straight to my skimmer so that it is dispersed evenly through my jets, it even diluted and then through skimmer for the same reason?

That would cause extremely acidic water to flow through your entire plumbing and filtration system. This will cause damage to your plumbing and seals in your pump and filter, your SWG, and potentially severe damage to your heat pump.

I cannot stress enough just how bad an idea it is to introduce MA through a skimmer. Other chemicals are bad for similar but varied reasons, MA is probably the worst possible thing you could add through the skimmer. Allowing it to disperse in to the bulk pool water first before being sucked in to the plumbing goes a long way to protect your equipment from this threat.

That would cause extremely acidic water to flow through your entire plumbing and filtration system. This will cause damage to your plumbing and seals in your pump and filter, your SWG, and potentially severe damage to your heat pump.

I cannot stress enough just how bad an idea it is to introduce MA through a skimmer. Other chemicals are bad for similar but varied reasons, MA is probably the worst possible thing you could add through the skimmer.

Thanks for explaining why, so should I just walk around the perimeter of the pool pouring it slowly, or pouring it over the jet that is furthest from the skimmer?

I need to add a considerable amount, my pool is approximately 100k litres, (27,416gallons) and to bring my PH from 7.8 to 7.2 the pool calculator is telling me two add 2 quarts + 1 cup, which seems like a lot to add.

I’m using 20 Baume.

It would be a great addition if the pool calculator told you how to add the chemical, I read some threads to add it to water but what is the exact ratio when adding it to water, I don’t want to make my problem worse by trying to fix it.

Thanks

Read the above article. Each section explains how to add the specific chemical to your pool water.

All liquid chemicals should be added at the return, pump running, in a pencil sized stream. If you feel it necessary, brush the area after adding.

Read the above article. Each section explains how to add the specific chemical to your pool water.

All liquid chemicals should be added at the return, pump running, in a pencil sized stream. If you feel it necessary, brush the area after adding.

Thanks for that, funny because it doesn’t even recommend diluting the MA with water.

So calculations are good, doesn’t seem like 2 Quarts + 1 cup is too much?

We don't recommend pre-diluting MA, nor really any chemical. MA is nasty enough to work with (though far less dangerous than some believe) and diluting with water adds another step and increases the chance of getting a big wiff of fumes. Pour it straight from the bottle in to the pool at whichever return will allow you to be upwind, even if that is closest to the skimmer. Once diluted in to the bulk pool water the risk to your equipment is virtually zero.

That amount seems correct to drop from 7.8 to 7.2 pH. EDIT: Though PoolMath does have difficulty with large pH changes, so while I think this dosage would be fine you might want to only add a quart and retest later to be sure.

OK -- just be sure you have a current TA test result in Poolmath when you use it for acid volumes to reduce pH.

Also -- your signature says 80000 litres, your post above says 100000 liters. Can you resolve that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK -- just be sure you have a current TA test result in Poolmath when you use it for acid volumes to reduce pH.

Thanks, it’s good and stable, my PH is a solid 7.2, and my FC has dipped to 1.5 and I’m waiting until it gets as close to 0 before the end of the day and starting rust / stain treatment.

My only outstanding question that’s not really clear on the stain thread is related to applying the 60% non metallic algicide, I have a full bottle with me.

Do I apply it now or when the FC gets to zero?
Do I apply it at the bottle instructions for initial treatment of 70ml/10,000litres of pool or the weekly maintenance amount of 25ml/10,000litres?

If the stains do t come out and I need to continue doing this for a 2nd or even 3rd day, so I re-apply the algicide daily with a FC of 0? And then back to my question of 25ml/10,000 litres or 70ml/10,000litres?

Thanks

Also -- your signature says 80000 litres, your post above says 100000 liters. Can you resolve that?

Thanks, fixed it. My pool company had probably told me 80,000litres ten years ago but pool calculator shows me in closer to 100,000 and my chemical testing is always based on 100,000 litres and when I re-test after adding chemicals, it’s always spot on.

My only outstanding question that’s not really clear on the stain thread is related to applying the 60% non metallic algicide, I have a full bottle with me.
Those responses need to be kept in your other thread. Or I can combine the threads.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.