Why am I getting foam with air jets on?

Jul 30, 2016
Mounds View, MN
I refilled about 6 weeks ago and have been using the bromine system. I recently added boric acid to appx 40ppm. I switched in brand new filters 2 weeks ago.

My pH kept rising which is why I tried the boric acid, and it's actually been stable since.

My pH is 7.6, bromine at 2-3ppm, 50 Alkalinity, calcium ~225.

The water looks perfect, but when I turn on the Air Control Valves (adds air to jets), bubbles start forming and combining into foam.

Does the boric acid possibly cause foaming? Or any other ideas? For now, I'm just keeping air off and it's all good...

Thanks!

I guess it could be something in the filters, though I have never encountered anything like that personally.
Usually foam is the result of detergent/ fabric softener residue, hair products, etc. Any chance of that?

I suggest filters because when you have new filters in an aquarium, the skimmers go crazy with foam for a few days until whatever they put on new filters dissipates.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.