Whole yard fence and opening in...

zam

Sep 9, 2018
Washington/DC
I will be getting a pool built over the winter and am in the process of building our rear yard fence. It's a 6ft high wooden privacy fence which meets the county requirement for safety but my yard slopes down from the front of the house and for the gates to open they must open in. Anybody have any suggestions, is the rule the same when its a whole yard fence as opposed to just a fence that just surrounds the pool?

You need to check your local codes.

In Clark County Nevada, the code requires the gate from the yard to open outwards toward the street. That is so emergency personnel can wheel a gurney through that gate without issue.

You need to check your local codes.

In Clark County Nevada, the code requires the gate from the yard to open outwards toward the street. That is so emergency personnel can wheel a gurney through that gate without issue.

Huh, we have that rule too, but I always thought it was so small children would not be able to get in by just pushing on the gate if it wasn't latched all the way. Our rules also say it has to be self-closing.

As for OP -- it varies in each jurisdiction. You should be able to call whatever department handles building codes and inspections for your municipality and they should be able to tell you, or they may also have that posted online.

I did my research, and my county has 6ft height, auto closing, and opening out. My fence will have a pedestrian door and a wider one for whenever its needed. Both would need to open in or they wouldn't be able to open at all without surface grading. Another thing to add is that the 4ft pedestrian one would be easier to do the auto close / latch but not the double door.
Prince George's County

Maryland laws for swimming pool fences and gates | Experience • Resources • Personalized Attention • Reputation • Results

This is from section 3109 of the international building code. Makes it seem that if I stick to just the double gate I can have it open any direction as long as I have an auto latch. Also I have a sliding door in the basement which would lead to the pool. My house does have an alarm and I could enable the alert that rings when that door is open. I could also lock the door on the main floor that leads to the basement.

[FONT=&quot][h=2]3109.4.1.7 Gates[/h]

Access doors or gates shall comply with the requirements of Sections 3109.4.1.1 through 3109.4.1.6 and shall be equipped to accommodate a locking device. Pedestrian access doors or gates shall open outward away from the pool and shall be self-closing and have a self-latching device. Doors or gates other than pedestrian access doors or gates shall have a self-latching device. Release mechanisms shall be in accordance with Sections 1010.1.9 and 1109.13. Where the release mechanism of the self-latching device is located less than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the bottom of the door or gate, the release mechanism shall be located on the pool side of the door or gate 3 inches (76 mm) or more, below the top of the door or gate, and the door or gate and barrier shall be without openings greater than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) within 18 inches (457 mm) of the release mechanism.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][h=2]3109.4.1.8 Dwelling wall as a barrier[/h]

Where a wall of a dwelling serves as part of the barrier, one of the following shall apply:

1. Doors with direct access to the pool through that wall shall be equipped with an alarm that produces an audible warning when the door or its screen, if present, are opened. The alarm shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 2017. In dwellings not required to be Accessible units, Type A units or Type B units, the deactivation switch shall be located 54 inches (1372 mm) or more above the threshold of the door. In dwellings required to be Accessible units, Type A units or Type B units, the deactivation switch shall be located not higher than 54 inches (1372 mm) and not less than 48 inches (1219 mm) above the threshold of the door.

[/FONT]

You really want to call your local authority who will be doing the inspections. The local code may or may not reflect this. If they are anything like our local building department, they will be able to easily answer your questions.

Well, the code is pretty clear - the gates need to open OUT. So you'll have to do a litle grading outside the fence to allow the gate to open. (I don't know how they define "other than pedestrian" but I don't think they'll cut you any slack on either of your access gates.)

The way I read it: both gates must have self latching devices. But only the smaller "pedestrian" gate must open out and be self closing, not the wider one. The wider one is not the pedestrian access gate. Just make sure that one self latches when you close it, and keep that one locked.

If you can't grade outside the gate so that it can open out, can you relocate the gate inward? Is the walkway on the pool-side of the gate flat and level? If so: remove the gate, build two short walls inward, toward the pool the same number of feet the gate is wide, like a short hallway, and then attach the gate at the end of this new hallway. The gate would then open outward, inside the hallway, but over the portion of the walkway that is flat. I'll draw you a pic if that doesn't make sense.

As others said, just ask the guy at the building dept counter. Bring him a drawing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, I am going to ask. If I’m forced to go outward with the larger gate I will have to raise it so that it clears the hill when opening. I might omit the smaller gate on the other side of the house.

Would a fence such as this work for you? https://guardianpoolfence.com/

I am not sure if I purchased guardian, this is what we have. Did it this way for a few reasons... 1. was able to get it used cheep for $450 on craigslist, installed myself. 2. will take it down when the kids are older, but I bet that is not what you want because you need something permanent. These do have auto closing gates, and are very strong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.