Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
DBB32150-5D28-4398-B6E6-EB7160F7C7FA.jpg

I look forward to Monday’s when I can binge watch Pool Kings all evening on the DIY HD channel. Anyone else watching?

I want to know why my PB took so long as they seem to be able to build pools in an hour :)

I can only imagine the cost of some of those pools!!

I watch Pool Kings and think about the PH rise issues those pools will have from all the water features and bubblers. And the amount of CL the large pools will need. They never show the equipment installed and if they have a SWG and the type of automation. The shows are very formula driven. I could go for the 5 minute highlight reel of the design, the dig, and the final pool reveal.

Good points Allen. I would also like to see the equipment pads and SWG or not...

How about a follow up show...my pool king pool nightmare, my pool king pool 2 years later (after the builder warranty is gone)?

Someone from this site should approach the producers of the show and suggest an in-depth discussion of pool maintenance, myths and misconceptions of the pool industry. It is possible that pool supply companies underwrite the show though and have a vested interest in people remaining ignorant.

I have the same angst over "Tanked" (being a saltwater aquarist). Almost everything they do is wrong from a maintenance perspective. I have heard of the results of a couple of their tank builds and all ended in disaster a few months after the build is complete.

My biggest problem with any of these shows is the high school antics of the cast hoping they will get noticed and get their own shows. I would so, SO much prefer a serious show where the technical aspects are highlighted as much as the finished product. Within another season, the show will be all about the private lives of the pool builders families' and nothing to do with pool building anymore like Gas Monkeys and a bunch of other reality shows gone stupid.

Reality shows are entertainment, not education.

These shows are geared towards showing off the rich and famous and an inside look at their style. Most likely they will spend thousands for someone else to keep up with their pools/tanks. I guess we can hope that one of the TFP members can get that gig, I'll watch these shows sometimes as the builds are pretty cool.

The one episode of that Million dollar pool with slide/grotto was pretty cool.

Pool Kings is the reason we have decided to build a pool. Before this show, he would always say he didn't want the headache of owning a pool. Now, the pool can't get here quick enough. We've seen every episode multiple times. Along with Insane Pools. The hard part is getting him to understand why our budget, which has already tripled; will not cover a 30 foot long rock wall with multiple waterfalls, a grotto, and a 20 foot water slide. I wish these shows would provide the budget so that viewers have realistic expectations of the costs associated with such pools!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool Kings is the reason we have decided to build a pool. Before this show, he would always say he didn't want the headache of owning a pool. Now, the pool can't get here quick enough. We've seen every episode multiple times. Along with Insane Pools. The hard part is getting him to understand why our budget, which has already tripled; will not cover a 30 foot long rock wall with multiple waterfalls, a grotto, and a 20 foot water slide. I wish these shows would provide the budget so that viewers have realistic expectations of the costs associated with such pools!

I've watched every episode of Pool Kings, but haven't seen Insane Pools. Will look into that. For sure they should show cost, soooo curious. Most pools on the show are in excess of 100k right? They are pretty good in showing that the pools come together in 3-4 months. Bamaeagle, if you are comfortable, what has your budget grown to and/or what are you getting at that budget?

I also wonder how much these pools cost to maintain in chems, electric and water. One episode had 6-8 pool pumps installed to run slide, water falls, lazy river, etc. (Definitely have wondered about pH management). Also, very curious how the pools look a few months later, as some of the owners are possibly new to pools and now have a Ferrari in their back yard.

I've watched every episode of Pool Kings, but haven't seen Insane Pools. Will look into that. For sure they should show cost, soooo curious. Most pools on the show are in excess of 100k right? They are pretty good in showing that the pools come together in 3-4 months. Bamaeagle, if you are comfortable, what has your budget grown to and/or what are you getting at that budget?

I also wonder how much these pools cost to maintain in chems, electric and water. One episode had 6-8 pool pumps installed to run slide, water falls, lazy river, etc. (Definitely have wondered about pH management). Also, very curious how the pools look a few months later, as some of the owners are possibly new to pools and now have a Ferrari in their back yard.

100k? These guys wouldn't get out of bed for 100k. Much, much more.

I think we can safely assume that very few, if any, owners of these lavish pools have anything to do with their upkeep and maintenance. It's merely just another monthly expense, just like the landscaping company that takes care of the rest of the property.

One thing I find kinda funny about these shows is how "surprised" and awestruck the family acts when it's done....as if they never looked out the window in the last 4 - 5 months, or had any reason to confer with the builder on site.

Reactions: Dukebuk
Lucas lagoon pools (insane pools) start at $300k. They START at. Meaning he won’t even talk to you for under that.

I don't blame them. Find a niche market and run with it! When money is no object I think there tends to be less issues at the end.

One thing I find kinda funny about these shows is how "surprised" and awestruck the family acts when it's done....as if they never looked out the window in the last 4 - 5 months, or had any reason to confer with the builder on site.

Exactly!! They always act like they’ve been out of town, and are surprised to see a pool in their backyard. :rolleyes:

Lucas builds some really nice looking pools however I would be greatly concerned about some of the soft tenasee rock they use underwater and the lack of real structure and support on some of their rock builds. Just because you stack rocks and put a bucket of mud under it does not mean it can't settle or collapse. Otherwise I think the do pretty builds but quality is a time test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.