Whitish bubbles

HappyBubbles

Nov 24, 2021
Toronto, ON
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Not sure how to describe this. My water is clear, doesn't smell, chlorine I just tested CC 0.5, and free is 5.5. The water felt sticky which I've searched for on tfp and found that it could be TA and pH related. What has me concerned though are whitish bubbles. There's no foam, but the odd cluster of these bubbles. Biofilm bubbles or?

Welcome! :wave: To help get you on track, we should start with some basic questions the group will need to know:
- How are you testing your water? Which test kit specifically?
- Can you post a full set of those test results?
- How are you chlorinating your tub? What product specifically do you add for free chlorine?
- When was the last time you did a system purge (i.e. Ahh-Some treatment)?

Let's start there and see what we can do to help.

Sounds to me like it's just some left over Ahh-some. Had a similar thing happened to me after purging once. After I drained and refilled, I had a few strange swirls of bubbles for several days. I chalked it up to there still being some Ahh-some left in the pipes. It went away but it still bugged me. Now after I purge and drain, I fill my tub half way and turn it on for a few seconds to try and flush out some of the stuff still left in the pipes and then drain again.

Reactions: HappyBubbles
Did u accidentally buy some bleach with fabric conditioners or clorox w/ cloromax? Or perhaps get lotion, fabric softener, or hair conditioner in the spa from suits or people?
I'm using pool liquid chlorine rather than bleach. I'm not aware of any lotions, fabric softener, or hair conditioner. It's just myself and my wife using it. She keeps her hair out of the water.

When you did purge the hot tub, what did you use? Residual Ahh-Some after a successful plumbing colonoscopy, if drained completely, is typically not a problem. Did you remove the filter(s) from the filter compartment when you performed the purge? Looking close at the whitish bubbles do you notice any tinge of brownish/gold color?

When you did purge the hot tub, what did you use? Residual Ahh-Some after a successful plumbing colonoscopy, if drained completely, is typically not a problem. Did you remove the filter(s) from the filter compartment when you performed the purge? Looking close at the whitish bubbles do you notice any tinge of brownish/gold color?
I used ahh-some about a week and a half ago. We've had sticky water and whitish bubbles for the past two days only. I don't see any tinge of brown or gold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Filters were removed and when filling installed brand new ones.
Screenshot_20211128-144127.png
Just tested. Scumballs are collecting something. Hopefully they clear up what I think might be deodorant from the surface. Any other opinions welcome.

What about the sticky water? I read quite a bit more about this today, not sure what it could be.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Sticky, glue-like floaters after a recent purge typically mean one or two things. One, the purge did not remove all the biofilm but the purge did penetrate the slime forming gunk in the piping but some of it hung on and was not eliminated into the tub proper during the purge. After repeated turning on and off with the pump the water pressure may have finally pushed it out into the tub. we see this occur quite often. This usually means that another purge should be in order. It doesn’t need to be right now but you may want to do this if the opportunity presents itself within a month or so. The second reason for seeing the sticky floaters is because there was purged gunk that drained back into the piping through the jets while draining after the purge. This too is very common. However, if this is what happened it usually lingers for only a day or so. Just wipe the stuff with a towel as you see it. If the whitish sticky gunk is pervasive this mens that the purge was not complete.

It looks like you are using sufficient sanitizer so I am thinking your situation is not the result of a white mold. Be sure to spray clean your filters with a hose once or twice a day for 2-3 days. This will help. I would be that your water is very clear right now.

I forgot to mention deodorant! I try to wipe mine off with a baby wipe before getting in.
Makeup too.
Also self tanner can do what u described. (Weird bubbles/residue) Even if u have showered since it was applied.
Us ladies use alot of products ! 🤣🤣
Some of my more moisturizing body washes can sometimes create a film/sheen on the water.
Scumball/bug
Filter rinsing
& adequate chlorine should take care if it.

I forgot to mention deodorant! I try to wipe mine off with a baby wipe before getting in.
Makeup too.
Also self tanner can do what u described. (Weird bubbles/residue) Even if u have showered since it was applied.
Some of my more moisturizing body washes can sometimes create a film/sheen on the water.
Scumball/bug
Filter rinsing
I have good news. The scumballs helped quite a bit with the gross bubbles, but filter cleaning has made a huge improvement with the sticky water. I'm staying on top of the chlorine and this has all helped so much. I'll clean the filters again tomorrow and for the next few days see how it goes. Great advice from all you guys. Love it!

I switched to an aluminum free deodorant recently and I'm fairly certain the bubbles were from that.

I know my TA is sky high it's a work in progress. I'm doing acid once every couple days.

Makeup too.
Scumball/bug
Filter rinsing
I use Aveeno colloidal body wash especially in the winter months because I have dry skin. Have you experienced any issues with anything like that?

The Aqua Clarity was recently rolled out for sale in the USA at Home - Ahh-Some and Amazon. This product will not be available through Hot Tub retail outlets. Canadien consumers will be able to get this product in about a week or so. Information will be available on our website. Hope this helps you HappyBubbles.

The Aqua Clarity was recently rolled out for sale in the USA at Home - Ahh-Some and Amazon. This product will not be available through Hot Tub retail outlets. Canadien consumers will be able to get this product in about a week or so. Information will be available on our website. Hope this helps you HappyBubbles.
When it becomes available I will use it 😊

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.