Kailua-Kona, HI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
"It just goes to show you, Jane: it's always SOMETHING!" ~ Roseanne Roseannadanna

We're beginning year six of our Hawai'i Island residency. Our entryway pond and our backyard pool were turning cloudy green, even as I regularly tested and maintained both; never experienced the problem previously. Curious, I began surveying our many palm trees. I discovered whitefly eggs and larva on the bottom side of many palm leaves.

I could not find any thread on TFP pertaining to whiteflies. I'm blasting the palm leaves with a water nozzle, per advice found at:
www.flwhitefly.org
Florida has had the problem for years:
www.poolspanews.com/business/invasive-whitefly-sucking-chlorine-from-florida-pools_o

Last edited:
Well that is interesting! I hope you get rid of them soon and get your pool back to clear.

When you were testing did you notice your FC was lower than expected?

Have you started the SLAM to get that pretty pool back to clear?

Kim:kim:

When you were testing did you notice your FC was lower than expected?

I always keep my FC somewhat elevated, so . . . . nope. :suspect:

Have you started the SLAM to get that pretty pool back to clear?

Yep . . . been SLAMing two days, brushing walls and floor, backwashing my sand filter daily; it's clearing up very slowly :???:

Sand filter has been in use 20+ years. I'm considering replacing the sand . . . don't know. Other TFP filter topic posts claim no need to replace sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.