White streaks, spots on new plaster. Calcium?

tarablytara

Aug 4, 2019
Texas
Hello! We recently finished our pool and see these white areas all over. The pool guy said it is calcium buildup. Can I get your thoughts? He said to get a certain wire brush to scrub it off. He poured more acids which I don’t think did anything. Could this be an issue with their plaster job? Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 7652DF07-0CBB-495C-854C-2E8283CA730E.jpeg
    7652DF07-0CBB-495C-854C-2E8283CA730E.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 25FC5D0F-7B24-4448-A072-A0B047C54999.jpeg
    25FC5D0F-7B24-4448-A072-A0B047C54999.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 62
Welcome to TFP.

Brushing will not do anything.

Let's see if @onBalance has anything to add.

Reactions: tarablytara
I don't believe this problem is the same as what I have written about, nor is it calcium scale buildup. It appears to be excess plaster cream from some minor sloppy troweling. If there aren't too many of those white areas, just try to remove them by gently sanding with 100 grit wet&dry sandpaper. Acid treatments should not be used to remove those spots. While acid may remove them, that will just make matters worse in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarablytara
Thank you! We will try the sandpaper. The pool guy was asking about how often we brushed but we noticed this before we filled the pool and really didn’t know it wouldn’t go away. Also, my husband was on top of the brushing so definitely wasn’t lack of brushing. Then he asked if we had checked the water but their pool person just showed us this week. We went to Leslie’s pool and they said our water is good so what you said makes more sense. We will do what we can and he is sending the plaster guys to come look at it as well.

Thank you! We will try the sandpaper. The pool guy was asking about how often we brushed but we noticed this before we filled the pool and really didn’t know it wouldn’t go away. Also, my husband was on top of the brushing so definitely wasn’t lack of brushing. Then he asked if we had checked the water but their pool person just showed us this week. We went to Leslie’s pool and they said our water is good so what you said makes more sense. We will do what we can and he is sending the plaster guys to come look at it as well.
Did you find a solution for this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.