White streaks (pic included)

Dec 30, 2018
Glen Rock, PA
Ever since having our fiberglass pool installed last summer, we've had these white streaks that come down from the white strip that is just under our coping (see pic). They definitely won't rub off by hand or chip/flake off whatsoever. I've also unsuccessfully tried a magic eraser. Our pool installer really screwed us over, so there is no getting him to come back and check it out. He told us to try acetone, but I've been hesitant to use such a harsh chemical on the fiberglass, so we just lived with it last summer. Definitely would like to get rid of it this year. Any suggestions?

IMG_2640.jpeg

I would say that is efflorescence leaching out from the coping and concrete above the pool.

Can you explain the buildup? The blue is the fiberglass pool. What is the white strip? Then you have concrete placed above it.

What is drainage on the deck like in that area? Can water runoff be getting under the deck and running towards the pool edge?

Show us views of the pool and deck area.

@jimmythegreek @Rich D ideas?

The white plastic strip was something that they used to establish the coping, like part of the mould. I've always been unhappy with the way it looks and don't understand exactly why we have it...I never noticed it on other pools. The pool installer never came back again after the coping was poured and, like I said, really blew us off. The white streaks were on the fiberglass almost from the beginning, appearing very soon after the coping (and white strips) were installed. Also of note - The moulds for the coping were made from styrofoam, which is also something we've always had in the back of our minds (like could bits of it that were left behind have melted or dripped down in there over time? That might be crazy though.)

There were control cuts in the coping last summer, but we had them caulked in November. Therefore I guess it would be feasible that there was moisture running underneath there prior to the caulking. Here are more pictures:

IMG_2655.jpegIMG_2657.jpegIMG_2642.jpegIMG_2654.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    681.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    681.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2657.jpeg
    IMG_2657.jpeg
    681.2 KB · Views: 2
The pool looks pretty high. Are there retaining walls around the pool that might be trapping water between the pool walls and the retaining walls?

What was the ground water situation when the hole was dug?

Do you have a big tube near the pool that you can use to check the ground water?

If yes, how far down is the water?

Also note I dont see caulk on underside of coping. That is critical in keeping water out. Its either glue leeching from the form glue or efflorescence. Try a paver type remover and test in a small spot first

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.