White ring on water tile

** Update **
So I have been using the ScaleTech plus for 2 wks and 3 days, yesterday I let the water level drop down just a bit below where the line was and noticed it has faded and is now lighter but it's still there. I was told it could take a couple months for this to work 100%. At this point with vacations coming up in October I can't continue to manually dose chlorine and keep it between 1-3PPM, that was a nightmare to deal with in the heat of summer. I raised the water level back up and will start the process over again at the beginning of November when I will not be using the pool. I am also hoping that maintaining a CSI of -0.3 -0 will assist with de-scaling.

So the plan will be to add more Scaletech in November, and this time I plan to add an algecide during the process just in case. I will try this for 2-3 months with brushing and then resort to scalemaster to see if that works. If all that fails, then I will have the tile salt blasted in the spring before the water get warm enough to swim. My test piece of tile that I placed on the spa step has had zero scale so this really confirmed that this ring was caused by improper startup and occurred within the first couple days, not my chemistry which at worst ran a CSI of 0.1 for maybe 10 days.

I am also going to be adding Beuatech monthly to the pool to help prevent any scaling.

Will update the thread in January.

Titan7, I live in Phoenix and we have brutally hard water, TA is 110 out of the tap and CH is 250-300....Always get rings eventually. Over the years I have found 1 product that does not scratch, and is WAAAAY easier to use than a pumice stone. It's called POOLSTONE. Will also take care of the grout.
Hope this helps

Titan7, I live in Phoenix and we have brutally hard water, TA is 110 out of the tap and CH is 250-300....Always get rings eventually. Over the years I have found 1 product that does not scratch, and is WAAAAY easier to use than a pumice stone. It's called POOLSTONE. Will also take care of the grout.
Hope this helps

Thanks will check it out.

Happy holidays, update on the white ring. I have kept my CSI around -0.3, sometimes dropping a bit lower. So in about 3 months I noticed the ring in the spa has faded to the point I can barely see anything, it's almost 100% gone! I can't tell how the pool looks as I have kept the water level up above the ring but I am guessing it's the same. I have done nothing but kept CSI in line ( well perhaps a little aggressive) with all my other Chems, I am also adding buetec once per month. I am going to keep this up and will lower the water level April when we may next be able to actually use the pool again.

Update. Well, I still have a ring, lol. I have maintained CSI between -0.2 and -0.6 since last sept. This micro silica is NOT coming off even with Good CSI. Looks like I will need to find a company in CA that can blast this line off the tile. Bummer! Gotta love the pool builder!

Need to fine somebody that can using a blasting media that will not harm the tile,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kierserite blasting media is what you want. It goes under the trade name MaxxStrip. It's magnesium sulfate and it has hardness equivalent to calcium carbonate and does not damage tile glaze or grout.

I had a company do it years ago and it completely restores tile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.