White flakes in pool

NicInNC

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
My in-laws pool is finally almost completely clear and everything is balanced except for their CYA (it's only at 50). They have a new problem though. They said that there are white flakes in the bottom of the pool. They have a vinyl liner. Any idea as to what the white flakes are and how to get rid of them?

BoDarville

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2012
DFW, Texas
Do you have a SWG? I'm thinking yes since your post is in the SWG forum. If so, it is most likely calcium flakes coming out of a SWG. They mean that your water balance is off just a little. Can you post a complete set of test results so we can give you more specific advice?

Also, If in fact you do have a SWG, I would suggest adding that to your signature to make it easier for readers to see that you have a SWG. :goodjob:

NicInNC

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
I'm posting for my in-laws. I don't have their exact numbers, but when they called me with them, I came here and made sure they were within range and everything was within normal range except the CYA and alkalinity. They added muriatic acid to lower the alkalinity and I had them add some stabilizer.

Yes, they DO have a SWG.

heidiho

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2011
Clarks Summit,Pa.
From pool school ,I would suggest no more muriatic acid (For lowering PH use either muriatic acid (preferred) or dry acid. To raise PH use soda ash) I hope you meant alkalinity.

blakeusa

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2010
Ashford, CT
Also please check to make sure the chlorination system is set up to run ONLY with the the pump on.

Some SWC do not have flow sensors, like Compupool, so they can run while the pump if off if not installed via a timer or in synch with the pump.

Saw this a couple of years ago at a pool and the end result was white flakes and very bad plaster as a result.

costablanca blue

In The Industry
May 29, 2013
I´ve had this problem when the water balance is perfect. The swcg was not the modern self cleaning type and i´d been a little lazy in cleaning the plates of calcium. Once i cleaned the plates there were no more flakes.

:oops: very apt that smiley, i should have cleaned the plates sooner.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.