White film on pool

Apr 5, 2012
Jonesboro, AR
I have a white film on my water. They average about the size of a pencil eraser. When I try to trap them in my hand they dissolve. I thought at first it may be air being sucked in at the pump but it doesn’t show up at the return. I don’t have a ladder or light for algae to accumulate around. I added bleach this morning and it seems to be getting a little better. I test with the Taylor K-2006 with all new chemicals. That brings up another question. When I add the R-11L to test for Calcium Hardness, it says in the instructions that the sample will turn red. The 11L is blue and when added it turns a light purple and then blue when the R0012 is added. I didn’t know If Taylor changed something in the R11 to be purple instead red or if something else is going on. I have a 33000 vinyl lined pool. I use bleach and also an automatic chlorine puck feeder.
Ph. 7.6
Chlorine 12.2
CC. .2
TA. 110
CH. 120
CYA. 35
Temp. 85

I have a white film on my water. They average about the size of a pencil eraser. When I try to trap them in my hand they dissolve.
What type of bleach are you using. Plain unscented bleach or liquid chlorine is recommended. Some have additives (Chloromax/splashless/scents) that can leave byproducts floating in the pool. Maybe you've had swimmers in the pool using sunscreen/oils.
When I add the R-11L to test for Calcium Hardness, it says in the instructions that the sample will turn red. The 11L is blue and when added it turns a light purple and then blue when the R0012 is added.
This sounds normal and probably related to your low calcium level. Don't get locked in on the color hues. It's the color change that's important. Take a look at the Extended Test Kit Directions and key on the Notes section.

Pro-tip: For daily testing, use the smaller sample size options for the FC and CH tests. You'll save on reagents. CH is not an issue with vinyl pools until levels approach the higher end of recommended levels.

What type of bleach are you using. Plain unscented bleach or liquid chlorine is recommended. Some have additives (Chloromax/splashless/scents) that can leave byproducts floating in the pool. Maybe you've had swimmers in the pool using sunscreen/oils.

This sounds normal and probably related to your low calcium level. Don't get locked in on the color hues. It's the color change that's important. Take a look at the Extended Test Kit Directions and key on the Notes section.

Pro-tip: For daily testing, use the smaller sample size options for the FC and CH tests. You'll save on reagents. CH is not an issue with vinyl pools until levels approach the higher end of recommended levels.
Thanks for the quick reply. I use unscented bleach and will get liquid chlorine this morning. Liquid chlorine is cheaper than bleach here.
After i added 3 gal of bleach and raised the FC level to 12 the white spots have disappeared. I guess it was white alga. I will keep the level up for a couple of days to make sure all algae is gone

Thanks for the quick reply. I use unscented bleach and will get liquid chlorine this morning. Liquid chlorine is cheaper than bleach here.
After i added 3 gal of bleach and raised the FC level to 12 the white spots have disappeared. I guess it was white alga. I will keep the level up for a couple of days to make sure all algae is gone
Nobody has been in the pool yet, the water is still to cold

I was also going to suggest pollen. My pool has it like crazy. I have to use a skimmer sock when I first turn on the pump for the day to help catch it all - I'm not convinced that my sand filter will filter down to that small. Can you share a picture?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.