Josh connell

May 3, 2020
Texas
FC 3.8
PH 7.6
CYA 20
TA 220
CH 30
Ok here it goes, pool was completed on last Saturday,pool builder had his guy clean it which was vacuuming it several time and cleaning filter. Told me to run pump for 7 days 24/7 and clean filter everyday. Between Saturday and Tuesday I checked my pool chems and cleaned filter several times pool was very clear between this time and only got better since Saturday. I knew my cya was 0 due to filling from city water and I knew my TA was high at 230. I took a sample by Leslie and they confirmed this. They gave me liquid stabilizer which I added 2 quarts and 1 cup. I addressed the high TA by lowering PH did lower and so did TA but the TA crept back up. I also added a total of 14 pounds of calcium chloride between Sunday and Monday to raise CH. After adding all of this I was golden and pool was clear and I was on track. Tuesday night I got the bright Idea to stop my pump for the night and I woke up on Wednesday and found the pool very cloudy. I turned the pump back on and when I came home for the day Wednesday pool was looking more or less clear. Only problem is when the water is stirred up there is a fine white milky substance all over the side of the pool and on the bottom. Is this from the calcium chloride I added? What do you guys think is causing this. Is it still concrete work and fine particles in the water from construction? This is not just a little white film its a lot.

When I did a replaster I remember I brushed and vacuumed for 30 days to allow for plaster to cure. Not sure this is your issue but just an idea for you to consider. After a week or so I put the pump on a normal schedule and just kept daily brushing and doing a backwash as required.

Reactions: Josh connell
I’m sure the construction contributed, it concerns me how much white substance Appeared overnight while the pump was off . Hoping it will clear like you said after regular cleaning but it scares me to turn my pump off

Update, I talked to my pool installer and I told him the problem I was facing with the white chalky substance. His first question was did you add calcium to the pool. Of course I did because the calcium hardness was 0. His response was never add calcium to a fiberglass pool. So back to trying to drop the calcium level after adding 14 lbs of calcium chloride over a week period.

mknauss, I understand and agree. But I have the installer telling me that my ch at 220 is to high and is what is causing the cloudy milky substance. This milky substance is not stuck to anything permanent per say, if I wave my hand close to the pool surface it leaves the fiberglass surface and clouds the water. once the water is splashed the pool gets cloudy. I wake up in the morning and the pool is clear again but the floor and side is coated again. I talked to a local pool store guy and he agreed that i was told by Leslie to add CH to get to a recommended level but it may have been to much. Now he did say that their is an industry standard for CH and that the cloudiness will not hurt anything but rather if I can live with it or not. He suggested not adding anymore to my CH and see if the cloudiness clears up with regular filtering. What do you suggest?

Fiberglass is known to have some amount of oxidation of the gel coat over time. Mine does, better it is not as you describe. Calcium carbonate does not act as you say.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.