Which SWG to buy?

azmarine

Gold Supporter
Jul 9, 2020
Tucson, AZ
OK, you have convinced me to install a SWG. So I now have another question. Should I buy a new Hayward T-15 or should I get a rebuilt from Salt Solutions and save close to $500? Any thoughts or experience with their products?

Hal

Refurbs exist in alot of industries for a reason, and statistically they should last about as well as the originals. I still like my things brand new though. I shouldn't care but I somehow do.

I did something dumb rather than go with the info given me by the installer: I took my 25 ft tape and measured my pool. 25 X13X4.5X7.5= ? I get 10,125 gal.
MY question is: Do I get a 25K system from Salt Solutions or a 40K system from them. Either is within my budget ...but 60 bucks is 60 bucks! An old man who is a former Marine will accept the consensus of your wise advice.:cool:

Hal

Are you looking at one of the Salt Solutions rebuilt systems? Not too sure I would go that route...

Have you looked into the Circupool RJ series? An RJ 30+ or RJ45+ would probably serve you well.

A larger capacity cell should - in theory - last for a longer period of time. But that is if you follow the guidance given here for water balance and monitor your CSI.

1st. If you mean you have a 25 x 13 pool with a 4.5 foot shallow end and a 7.5 foot deep end, here is your size: Average the depth (6 feet) and multiply that by 25 then 13 for 1950 cu feet. Convert to gallons (7.49 gal/cu ft) = 14,600 gallons.

As far as sizing, I suggest letting the other guys chime in. But my reading here suggests large system, low % and longer run = best salt cell life.

I would buy the largest one you feel comfortable with budget wise. I bought an RJ-60 and have found that running at 75% for 6 hours a day is plenty enough for our pretty brutal summers. A smaller one would be a little cheaper, but would require running it longer.

1st. If you mean you have a 25 x 13 pool with a 4.5 foot shallow end and a 7.5 foot deep end, here is your size: Average the depth (6 feet) and multiply that by 25 then 13 for 1950 cu feet. Convert to gallons (7.49 gal/cu ft) = 14,600 gallons.

As far as sizing, I suggest letting the other guys chime in. But my reading here suggests large system, low % and longer run = best salt cell life.
Thanks. but I think my calculation is correct. My pool is 3 foot on the shallow end and 6 foot on the deep. for a 4.5 average. It is a lap pool mainly for my 5'2" 73 yr old wilfe to use for her exercise. BUT I whole heartedly agree with you on the size. As a engineer who worked on the Apollo command/service module I am of the bigger is better school.

Reactions: julespool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 40K on my 12K gal pool. It's not just about how much longer it will last, but more importantly how much time you have to run it each day. How's your electric bill? With a larger cell, it will require a shorter runtime each day, which means less cost of running your main pool pump: in both electricity and wear and tear. And pump noise, too, if that's a factor for you.

Just had a very informative discussion with one of the guys at SaltSolutions regarding their product. Based on that discussion I ordered a Hayward T-15. I will get a 2 year warranty, free shipping and a $95.00 rebuild if (or when) it wears out. Best guesstimate is about 5 years from installation. He was very forthcoming and willing to talk in a language the this poor old NASA engineer understood.👍Needless to say that I will most likely be making a pest of myself when I get it installed.

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.