Which Stenner pump....10 or 22gpd?

WIth variances in daily UV and organics, there's no reason to get super scientific with the run times. Just test the flow of the pump and dose about what you believe will hold your target. If you have several days in a row of changing environment, you should expect to lengthen or short the run time(s) accordingly.

I was injecting once a day and testing revealed that my FC trickling down from target. Instead of just increasing the run time, I added a second run later in the day and eventually a third. Now I am overshooting a bit. I backed each run off five minutes two days ago, and it seems like may be still overshooting just a bit, but more tests are needed.

I have no idea if dosing throughout the day rather than a big hit all at once is better, but in my mind, it seems to make more sense. But, I don't want to run my single speed pump 12 hrs a day either, so I have a limited window to do the injections.

Order the pump and tank. Settled on the 50gpd, 1/4" black tubing at 25psi with a 30 gallon tank.

Instead of drilling/tapping an elbow I think I would rather use a tee. Is this the right size? My plumbing is 1.5"

My reading suggests the duckbill check valve is not necessary since post filter pressure is always below 25psi. However, it still gives me some piece of mind to have it. Is this the correct part as well?

Order the pump and tank. Settled on the 50gpd, 1/4" black tubing at 25psi with a 30 gallon tank.

Instead of drilling/tapping an elbow I think I would rather use a tee. Is this the right size? My plumbing is 1.5"

My reading suggests the duckbill check valve is not necessary since post filter pressure is always below 25psi. However, it still gives me some piece of mind to have it. Is this the correct part as well?

In pretty sure that’s the fitting I used. I didn’t use a duckbill and there are no issues at all.

If the pressure on the return side of the filter ever reaches 25-30 psi, the Stenner is the least of your issues.

Reactions: anthony21078
Kept it simple and picked up the stenner pump/tank combo. Did some water testing today and the 50gpd pump moves 5oz every 1:07. Should be able to dial this pump in with a timer very easily.

Question, when threading the injection fitting into the new piece of 1.5" threaded pipe, the fitting sits right in the middle of the pipe. If I use the reducer the fitting sits back and out of the pipe. Is one better then the other?

Attachments

• 20200710_181714.jpg
    20200710_181714.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200710_181757.jpg
    20200710_181757.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200710_181834.jpg
    20200710_181834.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 15
I don’t think it would matter in terms of performance. I chose the 1/2” thread only because I feel it is more structurally sound in the event it ever gets smacked by something.

I see in your signature you have 1.5" plumbing as well so your injection fitting should look just like mine right? I ask because I saw a post on this forum about someone with 1.5" plumbing and he said that he needed to use the 1/2" to 1/4" reducer because his fitting kept bottoming out. Perhaphs his 1.5" adapater didnt have a bung that extended outward like mine? 🤷‍♂️

I see in your signature you have 1.5" plumbing as well so your injection fitting should look just like mine right? I ask because I saw a post on this forum about someone with 1.5" plumbing and he said that he needed to use the 1/2" to 1/4" reducer because his fitting kept bottoming out. Perhaphs his 1.5" adapater didnt have a bung that extended outward like mine? 🤷‍♂️

I test fitted mine just as you did. It looked the same. And yes, if you didn’t have a bung, it would probably bottom out.

Very happy with my pump. Connected to a Kasa wifi plug and it runs 10 minutes twice a day about 12 hours apart. Roughly 90oz of 10% bleach every 24 hours. Keeps FC around 7.

Plumbed in a new 3 way Jandy, elbows and union while I had the system opened

Attachments

• 20200715_155912.jpg
    20200715_155912.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200715_161106.jpg
    20200715_161106.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: DanF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you completely fill the tank? By my math, your supply of bleach would last a little over 40 days. I am just curious about your thoughts on letting it sit out in the heat that long?

For now I put in 15 gallons and will see how and IF the FC increases consistently with the set time limits. Although my tank will never see direct sunlight, it is outside and subject to the heat. The bleach I added has a date of June 19 and is 10%. I know there are lots of variables that contribute to achieving a target FC but I have to think that 30 days outside inside the tank away from direct sunlight will have little degradation.

Some folks on here recommend adding water to (diluting) the bleach, as lower strength bleach degrades slower than higher strength. While this may be true, I just can't wrap my head around intentionally degrading bleach to slow its degradation.

I called Vertex, the type I use, to learn how to read the date stamps. Bob, the very polite and knowledgeable gentleman who returned my call., said that their 12.5% product typically leaves the factory higher than that because it is labeled as a sanitation product. They want to make certain it is at least the labeled amount if inspected. He also said that it should be fine in the tank outside for up to 30 days. I can only get about 24 days out of my tank even if I fill it completely, so I think I am good.

Fortunately, Vertex is a Midwest company that produces the product and distributes out of the St. Louis area. It isn't unusual for me to buy product that is only a week to 10 days from date of manufacture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.