Which shall I trust?

Brando388

Jun 13, 2020
Tampa FL
For some reason I couldn’t get control of my pool. Been pretty good at it for the last 10 years. Thought it could be my Taylor kit being out of date but apparently Leslie’s kits often are they said. Really this is the only time I looked at the expiration dates so I wouldn’t know. Anyways I thought I’d try getting test from two different pool supply stores here next to me and compare them to my readings. 3 very different results. A-is me. B-store one. C-store two. Store two now uses an electronic type not a drop test.
FC and TC, ABC all agrees High
PH, A-7.4, B-7.8, C-8.3
TA, A-90, B-110, C-61 (adjusted because of high CyA)
CyA, A-not tested, B-100, C-106
So I always try to get my TA right first then PH. My test is on the low side but considered ok. Store B wants it down and store C wants it up. They both want PH down. But it’s not good habit to mess with PH until TA is good. Which should I believe. Mine, store one or store two. Uggh.

Welcome to TFP!

Your TA is likely fine. Your CYA is high and may be a problem. Your experience with pool store testing is typical. Not worth the effort to take the sample in.

The tabs are going to add CYA constantly and make it go higher. Once the CYA is where you want it, chlorinate with liquid chlorine. :)

I've been learning about pool chemistry too, you are in the right place! Read the ABC's of pool chemistry and get a good test kit. The TF100 at TFTestKits.net is probably the best, a Taylor K2006C is also highly regarded.
Unfortunately, water replacement is really the only effective way to lower your CYA.

The way to drop CYA is to drain water out and replace with fresh.

My advice is to buy a new kit and don‘t bother testing at pool stores. You can get a great kit, well worth the money, at the link in my signature.

The only reliable way to lower CYA is a water exchange. Reverse Osmosis companies can also do it but they’re typically very expensive and only available in some areas.

If the pool is covered you can probably be on the 30-40 range for CYA. Full sun and you’d want 40-50 in Florida heat, maybe 60 if losing a lot of FC during the day and not at night.

That said, get your own CYA test from Taylor or TFT before planning a change.

Reactions: OCIrvineDave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only reliable way to lower CYA is a water exchange. Reverse Osmosis companies can also do it but they’re typically very expensive and only available in some areas.

If the pool is covered you can probably be on the 30-40 range for CYA. Full sun and you’d want 40-50 in Florida heat, maybe 60 if losing a lot of FC during the day and not at night.

That said, get your own CYA test from Taylor or TFT before planning a change.
Sounds good. Appreciate the info. Good day!

New poster on TFP, but hopefully a useful perspective:

I've had my pool for 16 years. CYA levels have gotten high a few times, usually due to poor or lazy maintenance (yes, including myself.) For some reason I get arguments from professionals (pool store, maintenance contract) that my CYA levels aren't a problem, aren't as high as I believe, or are somehow otherwise dismissive that I should worry about this.

Every time, including this year, when I get CYA back to a normal level (through partial to full water replacement) the problems I'm having with FC and other chemistry magically are better.

I don't know why CYA is something many so-called professionals shy away from. But every time I fix it, things get easier to maintain. Get a test kit, you won't be sorry.

Every time, including this year, when I get CYA back to a normal level (through partial to full water replacement) the problems I'm having with FC and other chemistry magically are better.

I don't know why CYA is something many so-called professionals shy away from. But every time I fix it, things get easier to maintain. Get a test kit, you won't be sorry.
Lack of learning from experience and science. AND if you are doing something that messes up your pool (allowing CYA to get high) they get to sell you more stuff to fix the problem. Which almost by default, fails. Good observation on your part. If I do A and and it works reliably and makes scientific sense, it’s probably a good idea to repeat.

Reactions: BadDogPSD
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.