Which salt to buy?

You can use any plain water softener or pool salt in your pool.

I suspect the salinity of your water is all ready pushing 1000 ppm.

To add 1000 ppm salinity to your pool you need to add 140 lbs of salt.
Funny story, I was at HD today getting bleach (only 13 days old...score!), and a lady was next to me pondering the last two bags of pool salt. They were both ripped open and spilling their contents. She walked away, I'm assuming to ask a sales person if there was more pool salt, apparently there wasn't and she came back to tape those two bags closed.

I asked her "Oh are they out of pool salt?" she said yeah can you believe it? Well yeah, everyone is getting their pools ready! I told her I bet they have water softener salt, and it's probably cheaper.

She looked at me so funny...like HEY STUPID, THIS IS FOR A POOL!
I said "No, really, I read you can use it in in the pool, it's the same salt"
"No, no, this is for a POOL, to generate chlorine, totally different kind of salt"
"Okay, well good luck!"

I doubt those two half full bags of salt were going to get her where she needed *shrug*

LOL ManiacalMama.....yeah, you can lead a horse to water and all that...... we hear that reaction a lot. Like when folks are trying to explain to pool store folks that they use <insert gasp!> "bleach" in their pools! <'nother gasp!> Can you *imagine*!?!? You can almost see their heads wanna 'splode!

Maddie :flower:

LOL ManiacalMama.....yeah, you can lead a horse to water and all that...... we hear that reaction a lot. Like when folks are trying to explain to pool store folks that they use <insert gasp!> "bleach" in their pools! <'nother gasp!> Can you *imagine*!?!? You can almost see their heads wanna 'splode!

Maddie :flower:

I was fortunate that I found TFP while still in escrow of our house. I've went into Leslie's exactly twice.
Once to buy a solar blanket.
Again to buy pool floaties.

So I bought the Dixie Crystal Blue "Splash Ready Pool Salt" 40lb bag at Home Depot. I pre-mixed 6 LB before adding to the tub and boy was it dirty. All kinds of dirt and debris in the bag. I don't have have a measurement from immediately prior, but right after adding after my FC was 0. It was 5+ this morning with 20 CYA.

Water looks fine, but I usually use the yellow bag of Dixie Crystal and have never seen that. Anyone else seen that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Costco has something called Clean and Protect from Morton's (it's not the rust defense stuff), 50# for under $7. The MSDS claims small amounts of citrates (0.09%) and "anionic surficants" (0.0075%). Any thoughts on suitability for SWG use? I bought a couple of bags hoping...

I doubt the citric acid will be an issue but surfactants are never good in a pool.

Why not just get plain water softener salt at Home Depot or Walmart?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.