Which salt to buy?

beez74

Oct 15, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Wal-Mart seems to always have it outside in a back corner kind of hidden and I can confirm its a few bucks cheaper after already buying my salt from HD

ManiacalMama

Jul 18, 2017
Antelope, CA
You can use any plain water softener or pool salt in your pool.

I suspect the salinity of your water is all ready pushing 1000 ppm.

To add 1000 ppm salinity to your pool you need to add 140 lbs of salt.
Funny story, I was at HD today getting bleach (only 13 days old...score!), and a lady was next to me pondering the last two bags of pool salt. They were both ripped open and spilling their contents. She walked away, I'm assuming to ask a sales person if there was more pool salt, apparently there wasn't and she came back to tape those two bags closed.

I asked her "Oh are they out of pool salt?" she said yeah can you believe it? Well yeah, everyone is getting their pools ready! I told her I bet they have water softener salt, and it's probably cheaper.

She looked at me so funny...like HEY STUPID, THIS IS FOR A POOL!
I said "No, really, I read you can use it in in the pool, it's the same salt"
"No, no, this is for a POOL, to generate chlorine, totally different kind of salt"
"Okay, well good luck!"

I doubt those two half full bags of salt were going to get her where she needed *shrug*

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
LOL ManiacalMama.....yeah, you can lead a horse to water and all that...... we hear that reaction a lot. Like when folks are trying to explain to pool store folks that they use <insert gasp!> "bleach" in their pools! <'nother gasp!> Can you *imagine*!?!? You can almost see their heads wanna 'splode!

Maddie :flower:

ManiacalMama

Jul 18, 2017
Antelope, CA
LOL ManiacalMama.....yeah, you can lead a horse to water and all that...... we hear that reaction a lot. Like when folks are trying to explain to pool store folks that they use <insert gasp!> "bleach" in their pools! <'nother gasp!> Can you *imagine*!?!? You can almost see their heads wanna 'splode!

I was fortunate that I found TFP while still in escrow of our house. I've went into Leslie's exactly twice.
Once to buy a solar blanket.
Again to buy pool floaties.

smithlevenson

Nov 18, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So I bought the Dixie Crystal Blue "Splash Ready Pool Salt" 40lb bag at Home Depot. I pre-mixed 6 LB before adding to the tub and boy was it dirty. All kinds of dirt and debris in the bag. I don't have have a measurement from immediately prior, but right after adding after my FC was 0. It was 5+ this morning with 20 CYA.

Water looks fine, but I usually use the yellow bag of Dixie Crystal and have never seen that. Anyone else seen that?

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
We've heard repeatedly of problems with Clorox salt containing iron, but that's a first I can recall any problems from that brand.

Other Threads of Interest