Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
When I test salt with the strips it says 4000 but my SWG says 3450 on the app. The lights on the SWG keep flashing between green and red because it says we have low salt because it isn't 3600. On here I've been told to shoot for 3200. I thought I read that what the machine says isn't accurate but I don't like the lights flashing. What do I go by?

I do not see what SWG you have in your signature.

The salt strips are the least accurate. Then the unit. Then the k-1766 is accurate to +/- 200 ppm. Get a Taylor K-1766 for $27 to remove most of the doubts. Tftestkits.net will have it delivered in their usual hot minute.

Reactions: Nikilyn

Put it in your signature!

When I test salt with the strips it says 4000 but my SWG says 3450 on the app. The lights on the SWG keep flashing between green and red because it says we have low salt because it isn't 3600. On here I've been told to shoot for 3200. I thought I read that what the machine says isn't accurate but I don't like the lights flashing. What do I go by?

Lights flashing green and red mean you have a problem with the cell. The red/green flashing light means the unit is trying to run the salt test, but until you have flow it will not pass.

Low salt LED stays on red when it is a low salt condition.

Green light flashing alone means high salt.

So confirm which lights you have.

You need to get the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test to figure out what your salt level really is.

Reactions: Nikilyn
On the computer and iPad it is in my signature. Don't know how to get it in the top box by my name though, just under my posts.

On the computer and iPad it is in my signature. Don't know how to get it in the top box by my name though, just under my posts.

This is what I see for your signature. No IC40 there...

IG pool just getting started- 95' perimeter 7’ deep, 16,600 gal. free form pool w/ attached 8' oval spa, Pentair 420sqf Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, 3HP VS Intelliflo pump, Intellicenter I5PS Pool/Spa Control w/ SWG, 2HP Silencer Air Blower, 2 pool & 1 spa Intellibrite lights, 400K BTU NG Mastertemp Low Nox Heater, Stonescapes Aqua White micro pebble w/ Puerto Rico glass beads

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welp.. it looks like its working yes? I bet Allen is correct and your spa settings are bypassing your SWG. But I am going to answer the original question. You have to use both numbers ...and no, they will never agree. Most SWG readouts are only accurate to with 500 ppm and the K-1766 is accurate to within 200 ppm. Also they calculate the salinity differently. BUT the cell uses its reading to manage the readouts and the functions of the cell, so you have to make the cell happy in that regard. But monitor it with an independent salinity test in case the cell starts reading out wacky numbers. That could mean an issue with the cell, not necessarily with the salinity. So I use both to check each other... if that makes sense.

Welp.. it looks like its working yes? I bet Allen is correct and your spa settings are bypassing your SWG. But I am going to answer the original question. You have to use both numbers ...and no, they will never agree. Most SWG readouts are only accurate to with 500 ppm and the K-1766 is accurate to within 200 ppm. Also they calculate the salinity differently. BUT the cell uses its reading to manage the readouts and the functions of the cell, so you have to make the cell happy in that regard. But monitor it with an independent salinity test in case the cell starts reading out wacky numbers. That could mean an issue with the cell, not necessarily with the salinity. So I use both to check each other... if that makes sense.
Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.