Which pump to replace Hayward ecostar?

hiltxan

Jun 11, 2022
San Carlos, ca
My Hayward SP3400VSP had the common "drive error! pump stalled" message. It was manufactured in 2014, so I got 8 years out of it (I bought the house with it). I'm currently waiting to hear back from Hayward to see if they can sell me a tristar at a discounted price, but in the meantime I'm looking at alternatives.

Questions:
1. Should I go with the Hayward tristar? Seems like there are less drive issues but overall the sentiment on the forum is still Pentair.
2. What size should I get? The plumbing intake/return of the in-ground pool is 1.5", but converted to 2" fittings for the pump, filter and heating solar panels. 19000 gallons, pump is currently about 25' from pool. I've thought about downsizing the pump if I can, since the 1.5" seems to be the limiting factor for GPM.
3. Should I go with a consumer level line (buying from amazon) of a tristar/pentair or go with a professionally installed and use their so called "expert-line"? Professionally installed seems to be another $400 for labor.
4. Are there any differences from the consumer and expert line? Specs seem pretty much the same. Consumer is 1 year warranty, expert-line with professional install is 4-year warranty.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 22
To check the motor (from Hayward's troubleshooting manual)
If error still exists remove the Blue, Black, and Red wires (page 4) from the drive and check each motor lead to ground. There should be no continuity. Check continuity from lead to lead. Ohms reading should be between 0.5 and 1.0 ohms max. If any of these readings are outside limits, replace motor. If they are within range, replace drive.

No continuity between motor lead to ground. Continuity lead to lead is 0.8-1.0 ohms. Looks like I need to replace the drive.

I don't want to spend $600-$700 on an ecostar drive that has the same issues with "drive error! pump stalled". Anyone have any experience after replacing the drive and how long the unit will last?

I got the drive - ordered an SPX3400DR from amazon. However, the sticker on the new drive says SP3200DR and manufactured in 11/2021. The box that Hayward sent in says SPX3400DR.

Is SP3200DR and SPX3400DR the same? I don't want to install an old model that still has the same issues.

I got the drive - ordered an SPX3400DR from amazon. However, the sticker on the new drive says SP3200DR and manufactured in 11/2021. The box that Hayward sent in says SPX3400DR.

Is SP3200DR and SPX3400DR the same? I don't want to install an old model that still has the same issues.
They changed vendors about 2017. Should be good.

Update for future people - I called Hayward and they said SP3200DR and SPX3400DR are the same. Serial number can indicate date manufactured. The part comes with a 1 year warranty. The rep said they used to replace the SP3400VSP several years ago as a goodwill gesture but have since stopped.

My credit card gives another 2 years so if it dies again I'll claim a refund and just replace the entire pump. But so far after I installed it it's working fine.

I'm not sure if it will be a permanent fix. Lately it's been showing pump stalled error again. I've been able to override it by clicking resume, sometimes it will try to start and stall, then finally it can start again and run fine.

Could there be anything else wrong? There's no debris or anything in the pump.

Hil, as long as you do not have any vacation trips planned, you can live w this scenario. Being gone and having your pump fail, then your pool turn green is a real PITA.

Personally, I liked your logic of not spending $600-700 on an 8 yr old pump. That's basically 1/3 or more the cost on a new pump and much greater peace of mind. You have to spend a little green not to go green....good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
These are pumps moving water, they dont wear out, but they do require new seals and gaskets every few years. They should last over twenty years.

I think what originally malfunctioned was something electronic or circuit board, people say a capacitor or something in the drive unit?

Anyways, Hayward never responds to cases. I opened a case originally in June when the pump first died, escalated several times to hear back from a technician but never got a call back. Sometimes pretending to be a pool professional I was able to get more answers than waiting for a technician to help out a homeowner.

yes, motors and controllers have problems from time to time. But pumps, just seals and o-rings/gaskets. Water has very little wear at these low pressures. should easily go 20 years.

Last edited:
yes, motors and controllers have problems from time to time. But pumps, just seals and o-rings/gaskets. Water has very little wear at these low pressures. should easily go 20 years.
yes, but defective and poorly designed controllers do not usually last as long. this pump, w it's known defective controller, should have been recalled. In the S, SW and most southern US cities where temps are a lot hotter and pumps are run year round, these controllers fail much sooner and often than cooler, northern climates. Hayward helped a fair amt of ecostar owners, but most never had the opportunity to have this pump over 5 yrs...

Are you talking about the motor and controller or pump? Pumps last a very long time and only need a matched motor/controller.

Are you talking about the motor and controller or pump? Pumps last a very long time and only need a matched motor/controller.

The entire unit is commonly referred to as a pool pump.
While the wet end (what you are referring to as a "pump") may easily last many, many years the drive/controller or motor may not.
The early Ecostar had issues that were mostly corrected in later revisions.

Personally, I had an Ecostar for almost 10 years. It ran 24/7 for 99% of that time. It finally developed a front bearing issue - without showing any external water leakage. I exchanged the motor portion only with one a neighbor had laying around that the drive/controller had failed on. Used it successfully for 5 months before replacing with a Tristar 950. The frankensteined unit is still functional, but a lot noisier than the new 950.

What i am getting at its the original statement was that the owner has a Hayward SP3400VSP for 8 years. This can easily be connected to a new motor/controller rather than replacing the pump and motor with a complete new system. Pumps last a long time, Motors and controllers not as long.
8 years on a pool pump is not a long time. Tstex is confusing the pump side with the motor/controller side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.