Which pump to replace Hayward ecostar?

hiltxan

Jun 11, 2022
San Carlos, ca
My Hayward SP3400VSP had the common "drive error! pump stalled" message. It was manufactured in 2014, so I got 8 years out of it (I bought the house with it). I'm currently waiting to hear back from Hayward to see if they can sell me a tristar at a discounted price, but in the meantime I'm looking at alternatives.

Questions:
1. Should I go with the Hayward tristar? Seems like there are less drive issues but overall the sentiment on the forum is still Pentair.
2. What size should I get? The plumbing intake/return of the in-ground pool is 1.5", but converted to 2" fittings for the pump, filter and heating solar panels. 19000 gallons, pump is currently about 25' from pool. I've thought about downsizing the pump if I can, since the 1.5" seems to be the limiting factor for GPM.
3. Should I go with a consumer level line (buying from amazon) of a tristar/pentair or go with a professionally installed and use their so called "expert-line"? Professionally installed seems to be another $400 for labor.
4. Are there any differences from the consumer and expert line? Specs seem pretty much the same. Consumer is 1 year warranty, expert-line with professional install is 4-year warranty.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 4

1poolman1

In The Industry
Jul 14, 2014
Sacramento
To check the motor (from Hayward's troubleshooting manual)
If error still exists remove the Blue, Black, and Red wires (page 4) from the drive and check each motor lead to ground. There should be no continuity. Check continuity from lead to lead. Ohms reading should be between 0.5 and 1.0 ohms max. If any of these readings are outside limits, replace motor. If they are within range, replace drive.

hiltxan

Jun 11, 2022
San Carlos, ca
No continuity between motor lead to ground. Continuity lead to lead is 0.8-1.0 ohms. Looks like I need to replace the drive.

I don't want to spend $600-$700 on an ecostar drive that has the same issues with "drive error! pump stalled". Anyone have any experience after replacing the drive and how long the unit will last?

hiltxan

Jun 11, 2022
San Carlos, ca
I got the drive - ordered an SPX3400DR from amazon. However, the sticker on the new drive says SP3200DR and manufactured in 11/2021. The box that Hayward sent in says SPX3400DR.

Is SP3200DR and SPX3400DR the same? I don't want to install an old model that still has the same issues.

hiltxan

Jun 11, 2022
San Carlos, ca
Update for future people - I called Hayward and they said SP3200DR and SPX3400DR are the same. Serial number can indicate date manufactured. The part comes with a 1 year warranty. The rep said they used to replace the SP3400VSP several years ago as a goodwill gesture but have since stopped.

My credit card gives another 2 years so if it dies again I'll claim a refund and just replace the entire pump. But so far after I installed it it's working fine.