Which pool heater?

FrederickMD

Jan 9, 2020
Frederick, MD
We got 2 quotes for a pool heater and they're pretty much the same price. Any thoughts on which is better? Or is there a another one one we should consider? 23,000 gallon saltwater pool in MD

Raypak R8450 140k BTU
Jandy JE2500 119k BTU

Couldn't find any info on Jandy's efficiency but the Raypak one says it can heat 1 million BTUs for $4.40 ($0.09 per kWh), which is enough to heat my pool by 5.43 degrees. I'm sure there's some heat loss during this time this but I have no idea how much it really is. Anything else I should be considering here? Thanks!

Find out who you call for warranty service for each. Or repairs after the warranty period. Who in your area can replace a compressor, check refrigerant levels, or fix leaks in the heat exchanger?

Many pool companies who sell HPs do not service them.

Everything being equal I would get the Raypak.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Most experts here seem to prefer Raypak. So I'd go with Allen on this. Either way though it's going to take a long time to heat your pretty large pool with either one. Have you considered a 400K Btu gas unit? Or do you not have gas? Gas units are typically 83% efficient and not as efficient as a HP but they do heat you up quickly. You'd have to compare electric Vs gas price to see which one is actually cheaper to operate.

Chris

More BTUs is better. Heat pumps are decent in this area you will not extend your season but you'll be able to maintain 90 all season. You'll need to let it run most of the time though it's not like gas where it's on demand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.