Which Pentair automation for new simple SWCG FG pool?

BrittanyV

Silver Supporter
Dec 7, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Analysis paralysis and fear of making a bad decision are weighing on me as we get really close to the start of our build. The dig day is scheduled for Monday weather permitting - so fingers crossed! We can’t wait to get this started!

One of the bigger decisions that we have left is which Pentair automation solution to choose, Intelliconnect or Intellicenter. Intelliconnect is included in our spec, and the PB has quoted an additional $3300 (installed) to upgrade to Intellicenter Including the sensor to link to the autocover (we can then automatically adjust SWCG output depending on cover position).

My fear is that while I really don’t want to bump the budget up to add Intellicenter, I will be unhappy with Intelliconnect based on many threads about it on TFP. We can live without the functionality of the Intellicenter, our pool is simple, but if the Intelliconnect is unstable and it limits our ability to locally control our pool I will be really frustrated. Then again I have read a number of posts here about frustration with the Intellicenter app as well.

Is anyone out there that can provide recent info on Intelliconnect? I understand the new Pentair Home app is now in place instead of Link2O, has that been a marked improvement?

Feedback appreciated!

If you are going to buy an iPhone you would not be looking for an iphone 6 right? Same thing applies, pool automation technology is very well outdated and proprietary. You need to go for the lates and that is the intellicenter or maybe EasyTouch if you dont need much relays.

Reactions: BrittanyV
Brittany,

If you want the Auto-cover to be linked into the automation, then you only have one choice and that is the new IntelliCenter. The IntelliConnect and Easytouch do not have the ability to use external inputs..

No one wants to spend money, but a long time ago, my dad taught me that is it better to cry once when you buy a good tool, instead of crying every time you use a cheap tool.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would not buy any pool automation system that forced me to go through a 3rd party server and the cloud to control my pool. There are too many points of failure in that setup.

Unreliable automation is worse then no automation at all.

Thank for the replies so far. My thinking is right along the same lines in each case. What is getting me is a) the extra unplanned cost and b) the non-flattering posts I’ve seen about the Pentair apps.

If intellicenter is a solid solution, and intelliconnect is only marginally functional then this is an easy decision.

The fact that Intellicenter can be locally controlled is a big deal to me in comparison to Intelliconnect. If the equipment functions are really dead when the Pentair Home/ Link2O apps go down that is a major issue. I want the ability to control my own destiny when necessary.

Do any of you have personal experience with either system? I’m kinda puzzled that if Intelliconnect is so marginal how my pool builder is standing behind it.
In the end if I have to just accept the additional costs we will, I just don’t want to do it unnecessarily.

Thanks for the link James. That is similar to the proposal that I have from my PB to go with the Intellicenter.

Here’s a thought that bugs me, and maybe what decides this for me finally. With Intelliconnect, is there any possibility to control equipment except from the app? Like adjust thermostat, turn on/off lights, adjust SWCG settings, or pump settings? If the app is even moderately untrustworthy, and it is the ONLY means of control that is scary for me.

Any Intelliconnect owners out there, or others with close experience that can comment on this point?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.