Which Motor - VGreen 1.65HP or Ecotech EZ 3HP

bzbee

Aug 30, 2019
North TX
The motor on my pool pump died last week (old thread here), and I've decided to upgrade to a variable speed motor without disturbing the plumbing.

I've narrowed my choices to:
a) Century VGreen 1.65HP VS Motor (Model: ECM16CU)
- Seems well reviewed/tested and considered a reliable motor
- Costs $427 from Inyo Pools, and will need a smaller impeller & seal kit. Total cost abot $475.
- About $60 cheaper on eBay, contacted Inyo for a price match, but said they don't match eBay or Amazon.

b) US Motors Ecotech EZ 3HP VS Motor (Model: AVSJ3)
- Seems like a new model, couldn't find any reviews. Previous version had a recall in 2017 for improper grounding.
- Costs $500 on eBay (from 'perryspoolpump'). No need to change impeller, just need the seal kit. Total about $515.
- 3HP motor gives more head room, so motor would be running at much lower capacity compared to 1.65 HP. Does that mean more efficient work => lower power consumption?

So, with both options being around the $500 price point, which would be a better buy?

I've been reading the forum all night and got information overload..... couldn't decide either way. But have to decide and put in an order today. Its already been a week and the pool condition is deteriorating with every passing day.

Hoping for some clarity :)

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
The bigger motor and impeller are nice because you can reduce the rpm compared to the smaller motor and impeller for the same flow rate.

The power usage is roughly equal for equal flow rates, but there's less noise.

bzbee

Aug 30, 2019
North TX
The bigger motor and impeller are nice because you can reduce the rpm compared to the smaller motor and impeller for the same flow rate.

The power usage is roughly equal for equal flow rates, but there's less noise.
Any idea on the reliability of the 3HP motor?
I couldn't any detailed specs for it. Know any pump that comes with that motor?

bzbee

Aug 30, 2019
North TX
Well, I ordered the Ecotech EZ 3HP Variable Speed Motor.

I called their store (Perrys Pool Pump | and Electric Motor Repair) before ordering, and they were quite helpful and answered all my questions. When asked about the reliability of the motor, he was honest about it and said that the electronics in the VS motors make them more prone to problems. They've had motors running without a hitch for over 6 years now, and they've got motors that just died in a few months for no reason. The motor has a 18 month warranty on it and said they'd swap it out if something failed in the warranty period, but after that I am out of luck as he said there are no user seviceable parts in these motors.

So anyway, I thought I'd take a chance on this motor. I figured even if I get 2-3 years out of it, it'd have paid for itself in the power savings. He said they'd ship it out tomorrow and I should get it in 3 business days. Will post my experience once I recieve the motor.

Thanks for all the help.

RMcGirr83

Gold Supporter
Nov 19, 2018
Tuscola, TX
I've had the VGreen for 6 months and no issues. Direct swap that replaced my 1.65 Jandy single speed. Electricity savings have been considerable.