Which direction return jets should be pointed

Feb 8, 2012
Latham, NY
Split into a new topic, off topic for the original location. JasonLion

I know I'm reviving an old thread but I thought it was a good point to ask which direction return jets should be pointed? For years, my jets have always been pointed down but recently a neighbor who just had a pool installed said they told him to point the jets up. Thoughts?

It varies depending on your pool shape and how many returns you have. First, you want to point the returns so there is consistent movement of the water (typically in a circle) that will tend to bring surface debris towards the skimmer(s). Second, if you have a deep end and don't have a main drain you should point at least one return down towards the bottom of the deep end to promote mixing of surface water and deep water. If you have several returns it is often good to aim one slightly up and another slightly down for the same reason (to promote mixing of all depths).

There is also at least one "special case". If you are trying to aerate the water it is common to point one or more returns sharply up so they break the surface of the water.

My pool is a 19x37 rectangle with 4 total returns. 2 of the returns are aerators (I believe that this what they are called) by the steps and then there is 1 return in the shallow end and 1 return in the deep end (across from the skimmer). I also have a main drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.