Which chemical ranges are best? Please help.

I was unable to perform the Chlorine Loss Test....but I did add some additional liquid chlorine last night around 730-800pm and brought my levels up to 6.6 ppm (checked one hour after i added chlorine). I just checked my chlorine levels this morning and i only dropped to 6.4 ppm. That sounds ok, right? Only dropped .2 overnight. If i had an algae problem I assume it would drop more?!? Also, the water is super clear with no signs of an issue. Thoughts?

I assume it would drop more?
Correct. Looks like you passed the OCLT. So being a bit new to all of this, now yo just have to work on testing consistency and accuracy. For example, instead of doing your FC testing with the 25 ml sample size, do your FC testing as follows:
10 ML water sample with ONE generous scoop of powder. Count drops until clear and divide result in half. Example: 10 drops equals an FC of 5.

For easy math, let's say your FC is 6.5 this morning. First thing I would do right now is increase it just a bit to about 9 ppm. Remember the FC/CYA Levels as your reference to avoid algae. After increasing the FC to 9 ppm, test it again near nighttime. It should not drop below 5 ppm. If it does let us know. But on a normal day with no large pool party, you should not lose more than 4 ppm of chlorine as long as the FC has adequate CYA protection from the sun. You appear to have plenty of CYA (no more tabs), so always keep your FC in that 7-9 range. Try to take your water samples for testing at the same location after the water has mixed for about 45 min to an hour. Once you get in a routine, you might take your sample and do the testing at the same time each day so you have a good 24 reference of changes.

Correct. Looks like you passed the OCLT. So being a bit new to all of this, now yo just have to work on testing consistency and accuracy. For example, instead of doing your FC testing with the 25 ml sample size, do your FC testing as follows:

For easy math, let's say your FC is 6.5 this morning. First thing I would do right now is increase it just a bit to about 9 ppm. Remember the FC/CYA Levels as your reference to avoid algae. After increasing the FC to 9 ppm, test it again near nighttime. It should not drop below 5 ppm. If it does let us know. But on a normal day with no large pool party, you should not lose more than 4 ppm of chlorine as long as the FC has adequate CYA protection from the sun. You appear to have plenty of CYA (no more tabs), so always keep your FC in that 7-9 range. Try to take your water samples for testing at the same location after the water has mixed for about 45 min to an hour. Once you get in a routine, you might take your sample and do the testing at the same time each day so you have a good 24 reference of changes.
This is really good info and advice! Thank you so much! I'll report back. Thank you again!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.