Where/What/How Much chemicals to buy?

TotalNerd

Mar 9, 2021
Mansfield, TX
Title pretty much says it all.

I had my pool startup and pool school today. They added the salt (21k gallons) and did all the things. I've got a chart here that the pool company gave me with a list of chemicals to add when something happens, though i'll be using Pool Math to be honest. My question though is where do I get them and how do I make sure I'm not paying too much for it because it says "pool" on it.

I've loaded my amazon cart with a partial list and right now i'm sitting at about $165 or so dollars. So any links you can send me to make sure i'm getting the right stuff (and quantities) would be helpful.

I understand you won't be able to give a great deal of how much i'll use etc. as every pool and condition is different, but I have to assume some things are standard....like salt pools won't use calcium increaser as much as they will CYA so I only need 5lbs a season for calcium carbonate but 50 pounds of CYA etc. Any guidelines you can give I'd appreciate!

Muriatic acid is all you need regularly on a SWG pool.

Have some dry stabilizer and 2 or 3 bags of salt on hand for when they may get low. They will last a long time in storage.

How many gallons in your pool?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Also, when you say dry stabilizer, what do you mean? CYA?

CYA comes in two forms - dry stabilizer or liquid stabilizer/conditioner. Dry stabilizer is much less expensive and more stable to store for when you need to add some. Read up on the sock method for adding dry stabilizer.

full

Most everything u need is probably most affordable locally rather than online w/ the exception of granular stabilizer. The best price I’ve found for it is @ Walmart online as it’s hit or miss at the store.
Muriatic acid is pretty cheap @ Home Depot & lowes in a 2 gallon pack.
Same goes for liquid chlorine- Walmart, lowes, Home Depot & i have a local pool store that sells refillable 2.5 gal jugs. I always keep a couple gallons on hand.
Baking soda (ta up) is cheap & readily available at walmart, dollar general etc so I don’t keep much on hand as I’ve rarely had to use it over the years. Same goes for borax & super washing soda (soda ash). I just keep normal laundry/cleaning amounts for these. If i need more it’s easy to find.
I tend to buy my pool salt at the local hardware store or Walmart. I try to keep a bag on hand.
Many folks buy softener salt because it’s cheaper but it’s not readily available where i live because we have naturally soft water here.
I see that u have the Taylor k2005 listed in your signature. You need to add the fas/dpd test to that so you have the ability to test free chlorine & cc above 5ppm. This will make your kit equivalent to a k2006.

Reactions: TotalNerd
The only chemicals you need immediately are Muriatic Acid and CYA if it wasn't already put in. Did the pool builder have your FC up to the desired level before starting the SWG up?

Down the road based on testing you *may* need Baking Soda, Borax and Liquid Chlorine. Don't buy until you need it.

So, i've been looking for
Most everything u need is probably most affordable locally rather than online w/ the exception of granular stabilizer. The best price I’ve found for it is @ Walmart online as it’s hit or miss at the store.
Muriatic acid is pretty cheap @ Home Depot & lowes in a 2 gallon pack.
Same goes for liquid chlorine- Walmart, lowes, Home Depot & i have a local pool store that sells refillable 2.5 gal jugs. I always keep a couple gallons on hand.
Baking soda (ta up) is cheap & readily available at walmart, dollar general etc so I don’t keep much on hand as I’ve rarely had to use it over the years. Same goes for borax & super washing soda (soda ash). I just keep normal laundry/cleaning amounts for these. If i need more it’s easy to find.
I tend to buy my pool salt at the local hardware store or Walmart. I try to keep a bag on hand.
Many folks buy softener salt because it’s cheaper but it’s not readily available where i live because we have naturally soft water here.
I see that u have the Taylor k2005 listed in your signature. You need to add the fas/dpd test to that so you have the ability to test free chlorine & cc above 5ppm. This will make your kit equivalent to a k2006.

Thanks, I bought the additional test as well. Still waiting on it to get here. I have tested my water and it says my TA and my PH are a bit high and I could use some Muriatic acid. I went to the Lowes website to see what they had and they have a 20Baume but says not for pools and the reviews suggest as much. Why would their 20 baume be different than Home Depot's which says it can be used on pools?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.