Where should I dump my test-kit water?

GozuTashoya

Mar 4, 2017
Fullerton, CA
I might be pushing the theory of there being no such thing as a dumb question here, but is there a "right" place to dump my tested pool water once I have my numbers? I've been dumping it on the deck, on the theory that concrete is tough and not chemically reactive, but then I don't know what the test reagents are. Am I killing my concrete?

Would I be better off dumping it on the lawn and maybe killing those darn dandelions...?

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
In the small amounts used, those test reagents will not hurt the lawn. When I test outside, that's where I dump. If I'm inside, it goes down the drain.

While it won't hurt the concrete, i don't know if it might stain over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
Huh... I've been dumping it in the pool... never gave it a thought.
That's the last place you should be dumping them. Just dump them out onto the lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
Never dump your test samples in the pool. Especially if you do a Salt test with the yellow reagent. It's made from Chromate...so not good. Either way, no samples dumped back into the pool!

cjpwalker

Silver Supporter
Sep 1, 2016
Yakima, WA
Huh... didn't think it was that big of a deal. We're talking parts-per-billion... Thanks, though, I'll start throwing it in the yard.

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
Huh... didn't think it was that big of a deal. We're talking parts-per-billion... Thanks, though, I'll start throwing it in the yard.
I look at it this way, my family is swimming in this pool, the little ones are more than likely swallowing water.

I'm not putting anything in this pool that does not have to be in it, period.

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
I know my white kitchen sink doesn't like one of the chemicals, and I don't know which one. I get stains that I have to bleach off every time. I sure do hear it from the wife too!

Other Threads of Interest