Where is all my salt going?

Jul 1, 2013
Cincinnati OH
I just installed an Circupool RJ60 SWCG. I've dumped 400 lbs of Morton Pool Salt into my pool. 320 lbs 2 days ago and 80 lbs last night. I have salt strips that are telling me I have around 700 ppm of salt yesterday and today.

Has it not dissolved yet.

I've been vacuuming a bunch of algae to waste but have been giving the salt 20 hours plus to devolve prior to doing so.

Ideas/advice

I would be more suspect of the test strips not working correctly. I prefer the Taylor drop based salt test.

Really with algae in the pool, you should have skipped the salt and the SWG and followed the SLAM Process process. Once that was done, then add the salt and start the SWG.

Are you using the AquaRite salt strips? Are they old? Did you follow the directions completely? Inch of water, wait for yellow, all that?

Yeah the test strips I have are the 1 inch and dip one end in. I was soaking the entire strip :)

Got my salt going. I see a cloudiness in the water coming out of the cell when it is running, so everything seems good. The current readout is negative. Is that normal?

The polarity switches, so every other time it turns on is likely negative.

I've seen nothing but negative current sense I started running it and that has been multiple on offs. After having the salinity right and the other chems balanced I've had the generator on all day for the first time and the pool is getting greener and there is no FC in the pool.

Think I wired something wrong?

The water coming out of the cell is definitely cloudy when the generator on. I took that as a sign that it was properly working.

OK disregard the comment about the current always reading negative. I just went out and checked again and it is now reading positive current around 4.3 Amps. The water temp is around 64F.

I had a ton of algae when I opened the pool. I vacuumed most of it to waste. Vacuum, brush, vacuum, brush. The pool was actually looking pretty good outside of cloudiness.

I will say, with the amount of algae that was in the pool then there is no doubt that there is still algae that the chlorine is fighting. In fact the skimmer has not been brushed out and still has viable algae.

With how over sized the SWCG is that I bought is for my pool, RJ60 (60000 Gallon) capable of 3.1 lbs/day of chlorine for a 20000 gallon pool, I thought I could slam the pool with the generator to clear out any remaining algae.

Maybe this was a bad assumption?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your SWG will not produce enough chlorine to properly execute a SLAM. In fact, it is recommended to shut off your SWG during the SLAM process. A couple of additional thoughts: 1) The salt test strips you're using may not read correctly with cold water. 2) Some (not sure about the Circupool) SWGs simply shut off when the temp gets too low. (usually below 60ºF). 3) Your SWG may not be producing chlorine at its optimum rate due to cold water.

When the algae is established, basically yes.

There are constantly algae spores introduced to the pool. When the water is clean and clear, the algae is killed off right away as part of the 2-4ppm FC loss each day. Once they are growing and reproducing, the SWG is not going to keep up.

Thanks for the help. I've turned the generator off and will be heading out for some bleach this evening. Kinda bummed, but I should no better than to doubt the TFP guidance and it clearly says open with regular old liquid bleach. The website/forum and you guys have never stirred me wrong sense I bought this house/pool.

Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.