Where has my CYA gone?

nate

Jan 7, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Just finished the SLAM & its all looking perfect on all the levels.

About a month before the SLAM (2 months ago) I added CYA & it was at the upper levels 80-90.
Tested it again & its <10!

I've only done about 3-4 back washes, but they're only <2min & probably lost about 3" of so of water level all up.
I thought high chlorine might throw off the test, but we're back down to FC: 6 & there's no CYA.

How have I lost my CYA?
(test kit is <1 month old)

I'll grab some more, but i'm hesitant to pop more in - in such a short time frame. :(

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
What are you using to test the CYA? How is your chlorine consumption? What percentage is the SWG set at?

nate

Jan 7, 2014
Sydney, Australia
What are you using to test the CYA? How is your chlorine consumption? What percentage is the SWG set at?

Taylor 2006 - 1 month old kit
good - passed the OLT 2 weeks ago, just figuring out where my SWG needs to be set with my pool - so changing the levels a bit.
Very little debris makes its way into the pool - a manual clean every week yields very little dust/dirt/leaves. The skimmer picks up most leaves during its daily cycle, & less than 12 leaves make it to the bottom each week.

The cell is on its way out - 6 years old & can only get 18/30 at maximum setting (g per hour *i think*)
Spoke to the Watermaid people & i'll get another 6-12 months out of it no issues.
Just cleaned the cell & its currently running at 12, so keeping up no issues (can go to 18 if I need to)

only 6hrs of sun maximum a day - as its between houses, so gets a lot less direct sunlight each day.

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
Some types of organisms "eat" CYA. SLAM does kill them. So more than likely your problem (reason for SLAMming) eat your CYA.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Some types of organisms "eat" CYA.
Occasionally true but most always in a neglected pool over a longer dormant period....like months.
I have no Idea where that CYA has gone but I will mention that you may be the third or fourth Australian posting hear with CYA loss in the middle of swim season. I have no explanation.

It is almost never the test but there would be no harm in a Pool Store opinion. They seldom are very accurate but probably not that far off.

nate

Jan 7, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I'll setup a camera to see if one of our native killing machine animals is eating the CYA then ;)

Popped 1kg in the other day, so will test again to confirm levels are up - either way its <$30 so no huge concern if it walked out.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.