Where does all the water/snow go over the winter?

Woody007

Aug 20, 2020
Midwest US
In-ground vinyl salt pool.
Safety cover.
It would seem to me that there would be a fair amount of water that makes its way into the pool over the course of the winter in the Midwest.
I start with the water a tad below the arrows on the skimmer, and even with several months worth of snow and rain, the water is barely to the top of the skimmer at opening in May from closing in October.
99% sure there is no overflow, but the deck seems to be nicely pitched away from the pool.
Does it evaporate through the safety cover, or does that cover and the pitch of the decking really keep the water out of the pool?
Just curious on how this works.

Do you have any areas along your coping where the liner meets in that aren't quite secure or have gaps? I have these areas by my steps and if the water would get that high, it would start going in those holes and down behind the pool. Maybe a combination of something gaps, evaporation and run off?

Most likely evaporation. Water will evaporate faster in the winter. Plus, snow looks like so much more water than it actually is when it melts. Without the cover, you would have a lot less water in the spring I am sure.

Do you have any areas along your coping where the liner meets in that aren't quite secure or have gaps? I have these areas by my steps and if the water would get that high, it would start going in those holes and down behind the pool. Maybe a combination of something gaps, evaporation and run off?
I haven't seen the water get up to the level where it could get behind the liner, at least in the spring it's not.

Reactions: V___25
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.