Where do I put my pool!? Yard picture attached

Hi everyone!

We are going to start construction on our 18x36 rectangular gunite pool next week but we are overwhelmed with where and at what angle to place it in our backyard. The red marks in the picture are our septic and drain lines everything else is pretty much up for discussion.

What do you all think?

I'll add a picture of what I was thinking but I'm open to all suggestions!

Thank you in advance!
Bonnie

Attachments

• 20190204_075746.jpg
    20190204_075746.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 1549212514734.jpg
    1549212514734.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 67
Show us the back of the house so we can see what is where on it. Do you have a patio/porch? Where is the living room windows? Kitchen windows? We can dial in your placement with all of that info. GREAT job with the septic lines! That is VERY important to know!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Bonniesbluestar
If that pool is placed at the back of the house (and I agree with Kim, kinda hard to tell what direction the house goes esp with cars parked on two sides close to the house)

I think your pic (#2) is good. You still have play space to the right of of the pool and the pool also lines up nicely and the deck shape gives it some style. Place the shallow end closest to the house.

Maddie :flower:

If that pool is placed at the back of the house (and I agree with Kim, kinda hard to tell what direction the house goes esp with cars parked on two sides close to the house)

I think your pic (#2) is good. You still have play space to the right of of the pool and the pool also lines up nicely and the deck shape gives it some style. Place the shallow end closest to the house.

Maddie :flower:
Thank you Maddie! I added a larger screen shot of the land. ?

I had septic issues as well. Fortunately for me, the drain-field was not in the way just the main line to the tank. We had it scoped out and marked and only had to make a minor correction to put the pool where we wanted. Yours looks much worse. It would be so nice if the builder had anticipated that the homeowner just might want to use the land right behind the house one day for something like a POOL!

I will suggest put it where you can clearly see it from the house while sitting down in your favorite seat. You will want to keep an eye on the swimmers when you are not out there. Also I suggest putting it as close to the house as you can get.

I am not sure you would be allowed to put poured concrete on the lines. Even if there are not rules about it in YOUR area there are rules about in many areas and those rules are for a reason so................lets not even take the chance. Let the septic lines out of the pool area.

I think @PoolGate (what IS your name??) is on to something.............sit where you can look out on the yard.....can you see where you drew the pool? If so then I say put it there AND make plans to pour a path from those pretty steps to the pool deck.

Now lets talk about those cute boys............safety! Fencing?? What are your plans?

9 acres??? NICE! I have 6.5 but none has "forest" like I am thinking some of your does=MOWING! Lots of mowing :roll: LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not sure you would be allowed to put poured concrete on the lines. Even if there are not rules about it in YOUR area there are rules about in many areas and those rules are for a reason so................lets not even take the chance. Let the septic lines out of the pool area.

I think @PoolGate (what IS your name??) is on to something.............sit where you can look out on the yard.....can you see where you drew the pool? If so then I say put it there AND make plans to pour a path from those pretty steps to the pool deck.

Now lets talk about those cute boys............safety! Fencing?? What are your plans?

9 acres??? NICE! I have 6.5 but none has "forest" like I am thinking some of your does=MOWING! Lots of mowing :roll: LOL

My name is Robert! ;)

Also I 2nd don't cover access to any of the septic system. I assume you would not do this to the drainfield, but the access pipes too probably shouldn't be covered. Mine were 4 feet down and my pool deck on the farthest point does cover them a few feet on a very small section. I will of course regret this if that section ever needs maintenance.

Yes @PoolGate ! Prior owner nor builder didn't have anything other than a yard with pretty green grass in idea when they put the septic & the lines right there.

Thank you all for the great advice. I hadn't thought about the line of sight from inside the house since my babies are so little but I'm sure at some point in the future.... when they are great swimmers I might just would want to watch them from inside. They are 4 & 6 right now.

So that leads to the next discussion.... fence/gate. We plan to have our pool completely fenced in with an adult high reach latching system. Do you all feel that will be sufficient? Or should we go with other options as well? I'd rather be overly safe.... then not enough.

We have a drafts man working on plans for a small pool house but he's taking to long. The pool guy is ready to start and we've left room for it if it happens futher on down the road.

I will make sure we get a walking path poured! Wonderful idea! No grass in the pool!

My name is Robert! ;)

Also I 2nd don't cover access to any of the septic system. I assume you would not do this to the drainfield, but the access pipes too probably shouldn't be covered. Mine were 4 feet down and my pool deck on the farthest point does cover them a few feet on a very small section. I will of course regret this if that section ever needs maintenance.

Hi Robert!

We figured if we covered the drain lines.... worst case we'd just have to have more dug out? Ive marked the septic and its access panel too bc I know I can't afford a whole new system but drain lines are around 3k and for the perfect location... I think an additional 3k is worth it but I think based on all the suggestions... i can make the other location work, with a walking pad.

My suggestion is to consider how you will use your whole property (or at least the couple acres nearest your house in all directions) by creating a master plan. With smaller yards, essentially the pool planning/renderings are the master plan because they cover the whole space. But for you, I can't tell you where I think the best place is if you don't tell me all of the things you currently do or will want to do in the future with your property. I see you have littles. They will become bigs and their play space needs can grow substantially. If you think they will enjoy baseball, football, basketball, soccer, etc., now is the time to also think about this in your master plan. I liken it to designing a house and deciding where to put the kitchen if you haven't decided what other rooms you will want or where they will be. Outdoor areas are rooms and should be connected to one another to provide a setting that flows. Sometimes rooms should not be open to one another. Having barriers that limit/obscure your view can encourage people to explore more on foot to see what is out there. Clearly trees are an important part of your lifestyle. As you get closer to the house/pool, shrubs and perennials will increase in importance and should also be a part of your master plan. The master plan part of your pool building process will play a big part in how you enjoy the rest of your days on your beautiful property. You only get once to place the pool.

Can you put your state in your Profile? I don't know where Sylvester is which is applicable to my next comment. In areas of the country where it is warmer, having the pool next to the house is a no-brainer in many cases. In areas where you only use the pool area for 3-6 months, sometimes folks like to have it in a separately fenced area. The main benefit of this is to have the less attractive closed pool out of the hustle and bustle area next to your house during the non-pool season. So your kids can roam unimpeded by the pool area all around the house perimeter. Also, dogs will not be tempted to go in the pool of their own free will if it's separately fenced. Of course dogs can be trained - but I do see comments about folks with dog loving pools and they have trouble keeping them dry. Our pool is separated and I am not tempted to pop back into the house to do small things when I'm by the pool. Having it closer can make it easy (too easy?) to interrupt your relaxation. Many will not share by "destination pool" bias. Pools by the house look great, and in fact are great. But the above is just to present the other side of the story as well.

Below is a link to an overview of our pool and other yard improvements, if it provides you with anything you don't want to do all the better! But it gives you an idea of things to consider. The bottom of the yard (it all slopes down) is our play field. Although the front and close-up back section onto the court also can be used to play catch as well. Both our boys played baseball and the number of hours playing catch, and other sports/activities back there, were countless. Basketball is something that carries over into adulthood as far as a worthwhile backyard addition as well. You will enjoy seeing that time when your kids become better than you at sports (in my case it happened earlier than I expected).

Google Earth view Baltimore Pool Build

In my view it is no problem to have concrete over lines going from the house towards the septic tank (a cleanout or two along that section wouldn't hurt though). That's the same as the concrete in your basement over the same line. Though if they do need maintenance for some odd reason, don't come looking me up! Ours go under lots of pavers, a long concrete walkway/steps and a corner of the pool deck. I don't have any heartburn about it and I'm a pretty future/maintenance oriented person. But once you get near the tank, and of course after the tank are off limits. And don't put any trees like weeping willows within 50' (100' is better) from your septic tank or lines.

Enjoy the process and try not to get overwhelmed.

Yes @PoolGate ! Prior owner nor builder didn't have anything other than a yard with pretty green grass in idea when they put the septic & the lines right there.

Thank you all for the great advice. I hadn't thought about the line of sight from inside the house since my babies are so little but I'm sure at some point in the future.... when they are great swimmers I might just would want to watch them from inside. They are 4 & 6 right now.

So that leads to the next discussion.... fence/gate. We plan to have our pool completely fenced in with an adult high reach latching system. Do you all feel that will be sufficient? Or should we go with other options as well? I'd rather be overly safe.... then not enough.

We have a drafts man working on plans for a small pool house but he's taking to long. The pool guy is ready to start and we've left room for it if it happens futher on down the road.

I will make sure we get a walking path poured! Wonderful idea! No grass in the pool!

A high reach lock is usually all your county requires for safety. Some also require an audible alarm from any entrance that is part of the house. For ours, the house is one side of the "fence" so all doors and windows on that side are alarmed. Personally I am a big fan of cameras. I placed some at the end of last season (see my sigline pics) but still need to connect them. For the septic, if you are ok with relocating your main line, as long as you will be able to do that without digging up the concrete, there should be no technical reason to move the main line now. If/when you ever need to, the concrete should not be an issue. You would just need access where it comes out of the house and where it will go into the septic system. So I see no issue covering up that line now. Of course make sure it is CLEARLY marked so the builder does not dig too deep and damages it.

Look at where you have sun and shade from the house or trees across the day. And how shadows will move during the year. So you understand what sun your pool will have at the times you expect to be using it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.