When to heat pool as the season nears end...

pgershon

Gold Supporter
Jul 15, 2012
East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My pool is heated to 82 for daily swimming. Through the summer months, I'd turn on the heat about noon, if at all, and the sun would get pool to my desired temperature. But in the fall, the pool is only getting a 1-2 hours of sun (its shaded now) and so I must rely more on the heat. I have been turning it on about 10 AM and turning it off when I finish swimming. So the pool gets to 82 degrees, and then it cools to the mid to high 70's overnight, and declining.

My question is, is it better to let the pool cool every night and then reheat it everyday, or to maintain the heat at some temperature (82 or less) at all times? I do not have a solar cover and my wife would disown me if I put one in (would be an eyesore in backyard).

Without a cover you should heat the pool only when you plan to use it. Determine how much heat gain you get each hour and then determine how long the heater must be run before you plan to swim to achieve your desired water temperature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.