When to Drain Equipment During Power Outage

pmahosky

Jun 2, 2021
Austin TX
How long should I wait to drain equipment during a power outage due to a winter storm. Temperatures are expected to be in high teens to low 20s for 48 hours and an ice storm is in the forecast.......which will likely result in a power outage. I have identified the plugs on all the equipment and have read all applicable articles on the site regarding preparing for the cold/storms so I'm prepared but the question is how long to I wait after the power goes out to drain the equipment to prevent freezing. Thanks in advance for your help!

At your earliest convenience. Bundle up the kids and grandma and handle anything life threatening first. Open indoor faucets to a drip so the pipes don't burst in the house. Assure the dog it will be OK because he is worried too. Then move outside.

We kept alot of folks water moving last year but when the power went off, said water was 22(?) Degrees and froze much faster than it would have in the 30s. Many found it was already slushy by the time they got out to the equipment.

Last edited:
*you prepared for this and will keep your cool. It will most likely be slippery outside and you'll be careful while being methodical while executing your well thought out plan. If you rush or get sloppy in haste you will have much bigger problems with your back thrown out or head split open from falling / tripping.

You got this.

And put some of those leftover blue covid gloves to good use. Many down by you might not even have regular gloves, or only have ski type gloves that aren't good for working and doing things. Plus they'll be wet in no time and not much help at that point. The latex gloves will allow you to work and although you'll feel that the water is cold, it will be 100 times better than being cold *and* wet.

Reactions: Mdragger88
It really depends on how long the power is out. This is more of the normal Texas "bad winter storm" where we will dip to cold temps for 2-3 days with some freezing rain, then back up to normal. The power outages related to those types of storms would be outages due to iced-over tree branches falling on power lines, etc. just like you would see in a high wind thunderstorm.

Unfortunately, just like in a thunderstorm, if you lose power due to downed power lines etc. it will probably take crews 30+ mins to restore power so I would keep a close eye on things if you do lose power.

Last year was way different since it was much colder and for a much longer time. Heck, I've only seen single digits a few times in my life, and last year our high was in the single digits several days in a row. That scenario is much more taxing on the grid and why we saw the brownouts last year. I would not anticipate that occurring with this storm.

Reactions: Newdude
+1. Last year was the extreme with several factors combining to make it that much worse.

Ice storms or sleet are nasty though. The weight of it all on the power lines and/or trees pretty much guarantees issues.

Thx. Obviously this storm will not be nearly as severe as last year and the power outages should be hours not days or rolling. I just don't have a feel for how long to wait during an outage to drain the equipment before the water in the above ground pipes and equipment freezes. With my luck, I'll drain and the power will come back on a few minutes later. I am also prepared to cover the equipment with some insulated moving blankets and a tarp which should help a little. Pool water temp right now is 52.

With my luck, I'll drain and the power will come back on a few minutes
That's just Murphys and will apply no matter how it shakes out. Make your judgement call when the time comes and the power was out for a bit already, looking like it will be an extended time. If you are wrong and it comes back on you were at least covered.
. I am also prepared to cover the equipment with some insulated moving blankets and a tarp which should help a little.
Incandescent (old skool) light bulbs will help alot in your tent. A couple of shoplights will go a long way to keep it barely above freezing. Even better are those tripod spotlight ones with the small rectangle fuse like bulbs. They throw some serious heat, just keep them several inches clear of any combustibles.

+1. Last year was the extreme with several factors combining to make it that much worse.

Ice storms or sleet are nasty though. The weight of it all on the power lines and/or trees pretty much guarantees issues.
I would also add that any outage may take longer to restore just because crews have been spread thin. There is supposed to be significant icing over a pretty large swath of real estate. We don't have too many outages here in OKC (as of yet) but they are already showing 6+ hours to restore so that number will certainly climb as conditions worsen.

I've lived through many hurricanes / blizzards / Nor'Easters etc as a lineman. I never saw damage that could hold a candle to even a moderate Ice/sleet storm. Entire neighborhoods decimated and if your neighborhoods power feeds through theirs, fixing any damage nearby is irrelevant until the main feeds are restored.

But folks obsess over the line down across their lawn because they can see that.

Down south there is the potential of increased damage from lesser storms as the weak spots in the grid weren't exposed in the previous storms. It can take several days for reinforcements to get there from out of state and several more to make a dent in the aftermath.

Hopefully it's just cold and the storms aren't too severe.

Reactions: HeyEng

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just dug up my old hints from Heloise from last year on what to do if you need to drain your equipment during a freeze.

Contingency Planning for Power Outages and Equipment Failure during freezing temps for Texas pools:

If you lose power or have equipment failure during extreme cold weather, you need to have a contingency plan to drain the water from your equipment and exposed pipes to prevent damage.

Step 1 - Flip the breaker to the pool equipment so that it does not try to run when the power is restored.

Step 2 - Drain all of your equipment including your pump(s), filter, and heater. Each of these will have 1 or more plugs at the bottom for quickly draining the water out of the equipment. Know where these plugs are before you need to use them, and if you need any special tools (Pentair filters usually take a 7/8 size wrench).

Step 3 - Open up all valves, pump basket lids, and anything else that will allow the remaining water in your system to expand if it freezes without breaking anything.

Step 4 - Cover the equipment with a tarp to help retain heat and prevent any trapped water from freezing.

Step 5 - Protect your skimmers by adding cut-up pool noodles to absorb the force of the ice as it freezes and expands. In a pinch, empty plastic water bottles with the lid on tightly in the skimmer can accomplish the same thing.

Most importantly, make sure you know how to do all of the above well before freezing temperatures hit. You do not want to be out there at 2 A.M. with a flashlight and freezing temperatures trying to locate your drain plugs.

If you're worried, do it now. I didn't think we'd lose power for as long as we did. When the power went out and wasn't coming back, I went out at 4 in the morning in the freezing cold and snow to drain the equipment. Would not recommend. I won't be doing that this year as it shouldn't get that bad here in Houston, but if i was to do it again, i would drain the water below the skimmers and make sure the filter, pumps, heaters are all drained as well.

The good news is this - it's winter time and the pool is effectively useless anyway. So if you want to turn off all the equipment and drain everything for a couple of days, then just raise the FC now, throw in a floater with some pucks, and close it all down for a few days until the nasty weather blows by. Your pool will not instantly go green or turn into swamp. At these temperatures (below 50F), it takes a lot of energy for any algae to grow and most can't reproduce when the temps are lower than 60F.

So just close up shop now and have peace of mind.

Reactions: Mdragger88
+1 to both above. I don't feel this one will be all that bad for most. (Yet). But maybe the one 3 weeks from now will be. Or maybe discussing this one has one of the many lurkers/newbies better prepared for next time.

Hatch a plan, do a dry run in good conditions and make the judgment call if the need arises. I still have PSTD from everyone trying to figure it out too late last year, some looking at their equipment for the first time. We won some battles but could do nothing for the rest but watch it unfold.

Apologies for seemingly raising any immediate alarms. I just want everybody as prepared as they can be to make an emergency less so.

Here in the deep southwest, we are getting hard freeze warnings ... which means the overnight temperatures might drop below 30F .... for a few hours ... I might break out my long pajamas for the next 2 nights just to be safe ...

I ordered one of these that will act like an alarm clock if the power goes out. During last years storm our pool was still under construction so we didn't have to worry about draining our equipment. However, we went to be with power and woke up with no power. We very well could have had damage by the time we realized we had no power. I keep this plugged in next to the bed. It is pretty loud so I put a piece of foam over the siren to quiet it down.

Amazon.com: Reliance Controls THP111 SoniCord Power Failure Alarm Cord : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Temps here in Tucson dropped to 22F around 2am. Just back above freezing by 9am. All I did was tarp my equipment and had one 100W “rough-service” light bulb in an aluminum reflector running (I’m sure the mice appreciated the warmth). Freeze protect ran from 10pm and is still going (just at 35F now). All is good.

Best wishes to those in colder climates.

The more you deal with now - including the pool, the more energy you will have to deal with other things that are more important if there are extended outages/damage.
I type this as i sit under my patio & watch an ice covered limb fall around me every 2 minutes.

I just dug up my old hints from Heloise from last year on what to do if you need to drain your equipment during a freeze.

Contingency Planning for Power Outages and Equipment Failure during freezing temps for Texas pools:

If you lose power or have equipment failure during extreme cold weather, you need to have a contingency plan to drain the water from your equipment and exposed pipes to prevent damage.

Step 1 - Flip the breaker to the pool equipment so that it does not try to run when the power is restored.

Step 2 - Drain all of your equipment including your pump(s), filter, and heater. Each of these will have 1 or more plugs at the bottom for quickly draining the water out of the equipment. Know where these plugs are before you need to use them, and if you need any special tools (Pentair filters usually take a 7/8 size wrench).

Step 3 - Open up all valves, pump basket lids, and anything else that will allow the remaining water in your system to expand if it freezes without breaking anything.

Step 4 - Cover the equipment with a tarp to help retain heat and prevent any trapped water from freezing.

Step 5 - Protect your skimmers by adding cut-up pool noodles to absorb the force of the ice as it freezes and expands. In a pinch, empty plastic water bottles with the lid on tightly in the skimmer can accomplish the same thing.

Most importantly, make sure you know how to do all of the above well before freezing temperatures hit. You do not want to be out there at 2 A.M. with a flashlight and freezing temperatures trying to locate your drain plugs.
I just saw this since I'm starting to think about how to handle power outage and winter freezing temps. Where would I find the directions or video for draining all equipment, opening up which valves, etc. Like a step-by-step instructional video or directions. I've copied what you have here, but I don't know how to open valves, drain, etc.
Thanks, LaDonna

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.