When to Clean New Pentair CCP520, Cartridge, 520 sq ft

May 6, 2017
Central Florida
Hi folks,

I just completed my new pool a few weeks ago (OB) and looking for a little advice with cleaning the filter. We've been running three weeks and questioning when should I open and clean the filter?

It's my largest piece of equipment and I've been pretty hesitant to tackle.

Also, looking thru the manual it seems to open has many steps. Is there a good process to follow when cleaning these filters?

Generally we say there's no need to clean until your see an increase of about 20-25% increased pressure on the filter gauge from the beginning (clean) pressure. If for some reason you suspect something is wrong, then of course you would open to inspect it. But those larger 4-cart filters are designed to allow more time between cleanings, so you should be good for a while unless you get algae or something odd happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Brands and models can be a little different, but generally it's a matter of removing the lid (separating halves), disconnecting the top manifold, then removing the 4 cartridges. I know there are lots of YouTube videos on just about every filter brand as well.

a,

If you can tell us a little more about your pool we should be able to help you decide when to clean your filter...

What kind of pump do you have? Single speed, 2-speed, or VS and what HP is the pump?

What is the current Filter pressure and what speed was the pump running when measured?

I have the same filter and it is very easy to clean..

Thanks,

Jim R.

a,

If you can tell us a little more about your pool we should be able to help you decide when to clean your filter...

What kind of pump do you have? Single speed, 2-speed, or VS and what HP is the pump?

What is the current Filter pressure and what speed was the pump running when measured?

I have the same filter and it is very easy to clean..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

I have 3HP VSP along with CCP520 filter. Pump running 2850 and PSI 23. Let me know if these numbers look right. So from your previous post when I see PSI tick up 5-6 points it’s time to clean?
2d7e79c365595bd273b3bc6e88ceae0b.jpg

A,

Some follow up info....

I have a super simple plumbing system so it will be hard to compare my pressures with yours... but, when I run my pump at 2850 rpm, my pressure is 10 psi..

I normally run at 1200 rpm which uses about 180 Watts of electrical power. At 2850 rpm I'm using 1600 Watts of power.. or about 9 x the cost to run at 1200...

I suspect your heater, plumbing layout and eyeballs size is why your pressure is so much higher than mine, but since this is a new pool and the filters have never been cleaned, it could also be because of construction debris and plaster dust...

This is a good time of the year to get you filter cleaned and to determine your official "clean" filter pressure..

Because I can run at a low rpm, I only clean my filter twice a year... I suspect that I could go a whole year between cleanings.. My filter never gets to the 25% increase mark, but I personally like cleaning them in the Spring and in the Fall, when the temperature is not too hot and not too cold.. Just keep in mind that you will get wet when cleaning them.. :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I clean my Pentair cartridge filter in spring once pollen stops, after the summer swim season and in the fall once leaves stop dropping. Pretty easy to take filter apart, un screw tension clamp, release pressure with gauge at top, and it will pop off. Sometimes I have to start pump for just a second to pop filter off if stuck. Don't forget to re lube o-ring when putting back together.

Great advice rphpool. Was told by plumber to wait about three months before cleaning filter. I have screen enclosure with no vegetation and get very little debris.
I clean my Pentair cartridge filter in spring once pollen stops, after the summer swim season and in the fall once leaves stop dropping. Pretty easy to take filter apart, un screw tension clamp, release pressure with gauge at top, and it will pop off. Sometimes I have to start pump for just a second to pop filter off if stuck. Don't forget to re lube o-ring when putting back together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.