May 20, 2018
Clovis, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I have a cartridge filter on my pool, which was built in April 2018. The psi gauge on the filter started off around 12 psi I think with the pump at 100%, and there are hash marks on the gauge -- the PB told me to clean the filter when the psi reached the next hash mark, which I think is about 10 psi over where I started.

I figured I would clean the filter after about a year. Well, the year is almost up, and the psi has barely budged, it's maybe now like 13 psi when running 100%. So I'm thinking I can go awhile without cleaning.

Is that okay? Or is there good reason to just do an annual cleaning as a matter of course even if the psi is not really increasing? I don't really get a lot of debris in my pool, and I use a hairnet in the skimmer and a leaf canister on my suction-side cleaner to keep out the bigger stuff.

Thanks!

curious to see everyone's response. I have a sand filter and use a DE buffer. Mine has never made it to the suggested 20-25% increase either. Not even close, in fact. I can tell you that I've never let it go more than 2 or 3 weeks without a backwash and the water is nasty! I know filter cartridges are a different beast, but I would have to assume that it couldn't hurt if you had the time to do it...

Daren,

Here is my take.... Since the pool is new, and you have yet to clean the cartridge, I think it makes sense to open it after a year. Once you have cleaned it for the first time, it will give you a feel for how dirty it is.. If it looks brand new (which I really doubt), go for two years.

Personally, I clean my large cartridge filter twice a year.. Once in the Spring before the pool season opens, and then once in the Fall after the pool is closed. I'm sure I could go for an entire year, but don't want to. I get soaking wet when I do mine, so I just makes sure it is not too cold out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

curious to see everyone's response. I have a sand filter and use a DE buffer. Mine has never made it to the suggested 20-25% increase either. Not even close, in fact. I can tell you that I've never let it go more than 2 or 3 weeks without a backwash and the water is nasty! I know filter cartridges are a different beast, but I would have to assume that it couldn't hurt if you had the time to do it...

With sand filters, they filter much better dirty. Wait until you get the 20% or so rise in filter pressure before backwashing.

With sand filters, they filter much better dirty. Wait until you get the 20% or so rise in filter pressure before backwashing.
If you say so, I'll try it. I have to assume the dirty water is pollen and such, because no one has used the pool since last summer. I've heard that before with reusable automotive air filters though, just never understood the logic behind it. Just did a deep clean of the filter and still wasn't satisfied after rinsing the sand for over an hour. Figured I'd run it through the season and try it again at the end of this season. What I'm supposed to see and what I think I'm supposed to see may just be two different things I guess. Thanks for the tip though.

I think it makes sense to open it after a year.
I would agree. A year is a long time to not take a peek. Especially since this is a new to you pool, Also remember those factory gauges often times have a wide scale range (i.e. 0 - 60) which makes it kind of tough to see small movements accurately. That's the case with mine. If the weather and water temp are suitable, it might be good to do your first filter "test-run" and open it up. Have any Magic Lube, sprayer nozzle, etc on-hand and ready so hopefully the cleaning and reassembly go as planned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.