When to adjust alk & pH?

Dec 30, 2018
Glen Rock, PA
Opened pool on Tuesday and am super excited for my first FULL season following the TFP method from open to close! (Transitioned over last year and will never look back.) I was so pleased with how clean the pool was upon opening, and SLAM was literally complete in 3 days! Super exciting! 🙌

Anyhow, I’m currently adding CYA using the sock method since level was only 20. Question is, at what point should I worry about raising alkalinity (currently 50) and pH (6.6). Unsure if the still-dissolving CYA affects pH. I never had to add it before since I was waiting out high CYA last summer from my previous chlorine source (trichlor). Should I wait until the CYA addition is complete? Thanks!

Go ahead and raise them now.
Use Pool Math and Borax to raise your pH. Aim for 7.2, but be aware your pH may very well be lower than 6.6 so it make take a couple of additions. Mix it in and let the pump on and retest in an hour.
You don't need much of a TA boost, and the Borax in repeated doses for the pH may give you just enough tweak. A little baking soda per PoolMath will work on that alkalinity.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: SarahMili
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.