When to add Chlorine?

May 19, 2016
St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It Is early spring here and I have been running my filter for the last 10 days to clear up the cloudy water as much as possible before starting my daily dosing of chlorine to maintain my 4 ppm FC. Here are my numbers this morning:

Water Temp 55
FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 50
CH 125
CYA 30

Usually when I open in the spring I have a green tinge to the water because I transfer my pool cover water into the pool to conserve water. So adding chlorine right away has always been a no brainer. This year I spent some time treating the pool cover water so it’s wasn’t as green when I transfer it under the cover. When I took the pool cover off the water was a bit cloudy but not green. As you can see from the attached photos, the pool is clear after running the filter.

My question is when do I start adding chlorine? When the pool hits exactly 60? Which I don’t expect it to hit in the next week to 10 days as the weather pattern here has the air temp at about 50. I have a supply of chlorine that will last me about 3 weeks of normal maintenance. As chlorine is not as readily accessible during the health crisis I am wondering when I should start bringing my FC ppm up? Any advice is much appreciated.
31303BCB-8B88-4023-9E07-3A8B7D9778E2.jpeg3B80EC4A-6B69-4771-B75B-8A44A7F6A293.jpeg

You're about 10 days late for adding Chlorine. If the pool is open and exposed to sunlight you need some chlorine in there. Which may explain why you're seeing cloudy water?
Any chlorine you add should last longer in the cooler water, but you still need some.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Her pool boy
I thought algae didn’t grow in temps below 60 degrees F. Is that not true? I had 7ppm when I open it but haven’t added anything since opening. I just don’t want to chlorinate If there isnt any Algae to kill. There isn’t any visible algae present as yet, but don’t want any to start either.

You best get chlorine in there asap. Then test chlorine to maintain your proper level moving forward. CYA too that is low. Chlorine is a consumable. It will be used and degrade daily. 55 is close enough.

Reactions: Her pool boy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.