When is it safe to swim?

Jul 28, 2010
Montreal, Canada
we just got our pool installed 2 day ago, went to the pool store for an initial test
They said I need to add 4kg of calcium and 120kg of salt (18 feet agp) (ph and alkaline was in good range)

I've added the calcium and salt and have now been running the salt system and pump for the last 24 hours.

When would it be safe for me to start swiming?

I plan on doing another test in a couple of days to see the chlorine level

Welcome to TFP...please read Pool School.

You need to ket a good test kit so that you can measure FC and CYA...also covered in pool school. Once you can post us a full set of test results, we can help you out.

I would not rely on the SWG getting me to FC level. Do what dmanb2b said and then use the pool calculator to determine how much bleach you will need. Then add the amount recommended by the calculator and monitor the performance of the SWG and make percentage and/or time adjustments as required to maintain your FC level per pool school recommendations.

CYA is cyanuric acid which is commonly called stabilizer or conditioner by the pool stores. Your SWCG will have a recommended ppm in the manual somewhere. We recommend between 70 & 80ppm here. You need CYA in your pool because the sun will burn off your FC faster than the SWCG can make it with no CYA in the water. You can buy stabilizer at the pool store, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Read the label and make sure it says 94% or more cyanuric acid.

Once you bring the FC up with bleach you can swim. You need 2 quarts in and 18' pool. It's going to burn off pretty fast but leaving your SWCG running will help it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.