When I turn off my pump, it backs up?

No. It means you are building air in your filter most likely from a suction side leak.

Can you fill out your signature so we know pool type, size, equipment, etc? Help us help you.

Do you have air in your returns when the pump is running? What is your filter pressure versus your normal clean pressure?

Do you have air in your returns when the pump is running? What is your filter pressure versus your normal clean pressure?

I think its important to note, I only have this issue when Im using ONLY the skimmer. If I move the valve to 1/2 skimmer and 1/2 the intake port in the side of the pool my pressure is normal (about 15 PSI)

When I move it to just skimmer, it drops to about 4 PSI and pushes a mixture of air out of the return to the pool

I also cannot seem to get enough suction for the vacuum to work.

Also, we recently had some re-grading done with a small tractor around the pool area. Is it possible the pipe is broken from the skimmer to the pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check that the weir door in the skimmer is moving freely. Also that your skimmer basket is clean.

Another thing to note - my Pentair moves 75 GPM. Im also using a Skim-A-Round skimmer basket that only requires 20 GPM to be sucked down into place. The basket only has enough suction to be held down if I turn everything else off except the skimmer, and even then it is barely held down. So it leads me to believe its sucking air through that line and not getting enough suction to the skimmer.

When im fully using just the skimmer, thats when I seem to have the air issues. Does it sound like I've identified the issue?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.