When Do you test Chlorine?

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
I have a question in terms of when you guys actually test your FC levels. This has always sort of confused me and I'm just wondering what others do.
I normally keep my CYA around 60. I get full sun on my pool from sun up to sun down. In terms of the CYA chart my target chlorine should be 7-9. I have a Stenner pump for my chlorine.

After the pump runs its course (and the chlorine is added) - about how long after that should I test my water? What should the FC reading be at that point given my CYA number? Should it be at the high or low level of the target? Should I test again right before my pump cycles on again the next day to see what the drop was??

Thank you!

I have a question in terms of when you guys actually test your FC levels. This has always sort of confused me and I'm just wondering what others do
Morning or night is half a dozen or six, and opinions are aplenty. But. Either way, you are going a full 24 hour cycle before you test/add. Whether your daytime exposure is immediate after adding in the AM, or the pool sits topped off last night before today's exposure......... today was today and you weathered it.
After the pump runs its course (and the chlorine is added) - about how long after that should I test my water? What should the FC reading be at that point given my CYA number? Should it be at the high or low level of the target?
It should start at the high side of target and fall to the low side of target range. Tomorrow bump it back to the high side of target range. If you find yourself falling below target range, start adding a bit over target range to ensure you never leave it. During the peak season you will use more FC daily than now. It's usually between 2-4 ppm a day depending on what point in the season. Right now the demand slowly increases until the mid point of the season and then it will slowly decrease for the back half of the season.
Should I test again right before my pump cycles on again the next day to see what the drop was??
Mix 15 minutes before 'your test time'. Test and add back to high target range. Mix 15 mins and confirm you reached your target. Otherwise if the bleach was weak, or you goofed the measurement, you may be low by tomorrow.

I test when ever I get around to it morning or evening, as long as its recently been mixed up via pump run.
I can see at a glance from my window its sparkling and clear so I know my SWG is keeping things spic and span. I can also tell from looking if the water looks slightly dull that I probably find my pH is off.

This time of year I'm testing about 2x/week, unless I've made some change or addition. Then I'll check again to see if I got the results I wanted.

Maddie ☮️

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.